cranky betimes

< Previous | Next >

Vampraths

Chinese, Taiwan
The original context is like:

" Cranky betimes—how we fought when I was younger! I am so glad he lived long enough for us to be grown men together.
We cared for him here after his stroke...."

It's from a novel. And I can't catch the meaning of "cranky betimes". Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

• mjscott

American English
    Cranky betimes means cranky (in ill-sorts) now and again. Every once in a while they were cranky to each other--probably bickered (argued) with one another.

Welcome to WordReference Forum!

Vampraths

Chinese, Taiwan
    Thank you mjscott, it's really helpful!

As to the more complete context, well, the one who talks is the son, mother died early, he and his elder half-brother was raised by their father(who was step father to the elder one).

"My father undertook the raising of us both, in all practical matters, and he tried to do well by Arhys, but it was always with that little extra mindful effort. To me, his love flowed without hindrance."...

... “Me, I had a live man for a father,” he went on, " Cranky betimes—how we fought when I was younger! I am so glad he lived long enough for us to be grown men together. We cared for him here after his stroke....albeit not too long. I think he wished to be gone to look for our mother by then, for a few times we found him out searching for her."

se16teddy

English - England
    OK, so I think Cranky betimes... means In early life he was bad-tempered or difficult to please... When I first saw this I must admit I assumed that betimes meant sometimes, but the Oxford English Dictionary suggests that this is not one of the possible meanings of betimes.

domangelo

United States English
    M-W gives "occasionally" as the third meaning for "betimes". I have the feeling that this is what is meant here.

domangelo

United States English
    No, I was reacting to "early in life". Someday I am going to figure out how to include those great little blue boxes with quotes inside them.

< Previous | Next >