Crappy & lame

jiey

Chinese dialect
Several days ago, I wrote to my boss, who was born in UK and had lived in US for 7 years, to ask for salary raise. I used the sentence: "Now you must be conscious how crappy the pay is". I admit I did not realize crappy is from crap at that moment, I just steal this word from American movies:D.

My question is, does crappy sounds very offensive here? how about the word lame as a replacement in this case? and what is your recommendation if both of them are not very appropriate?

I will be gratefull for any help :)

• tepatria

Canadian English
    Both words would be offensive and inappropriate when addressing a boss. (Lame would not be used in this context) Your pay could be defined as inadequate, or not in keeping with the responsibilities. Check with us before using words you have seen or heard in the media, especially when writing to your boss. There is a lot of slang and poor English out there.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Both lame and crappy are words I would avoid in almost any business communication; even if it is an informal business discussion, I would not have used "crappy" when discussing a serious subject like a salary adjustment. "Lame" is, in most cases, used figuratively and constitutes slang; it would be the equivalent of saying "uncool."

Trisia

Romanian
    How good is your relationship with your boss? :D

My former boss never minded us saying stuff like what you said (especially since it was true). Well, I don't recall using that word, but a bit of complaining was completely acceptable, as long as you did what you were supposed to do, and you were good at it, too. :p

What I mean is: Don't get too scared. It happened, that's too bad, now let it go. Just never ever do it again.

Lis48

English - British
    I think crappy would be very offensive in such a letter and lame equally inappropriate in BE unless your boss is your best friend and he understands you are joking with him. What´s wrong with using low or poor as you are making a request not insulting your boss?

jiey

Chinese dialect
    Thanks a lot to you guys, :) it is really appreciated that I get so much valuable advice from you.
    Actually, I used lame at the first time, and then crappy at the second time:cool:, just because I want to stress that I am being very unsatisfied with the package:eek::D. I will be cautious enough to control my temper next time.:D:p

jiey

Chinese dialect
    How good is your relationship with your boss? :D

My former boss never minded us saying stuff like what you said (especially since it was true). Well, I don't recall using that word, but a bit of complaining was completely acceptable, as long as you did what you were supposed to do, and you were good at it, too. :p

What I mean is: Don't get too scared. It happened, that's too bad, now let it go. Just never ever do it again.
    Hi Trisia,

My special thanks for your very kind comfort!:thumbsup:
    My boss is a very good guy like my mentor, and we are very good friends as well. I have checked with him after he received the email, (we are in a same office, email is just to clarify what we have talked before ) he comfirmed he would not take any offence. You know, he knows my English is damned crappy and lame very well! :D:p

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Is your boss a close and intimate friend of your? If not, if I were the boss and received such an e-mail, I would think that your note was not merely rude, offensive, and disrespectful, but was intentionally insulting, and meant as a provocation. I would also assume that
    1) You were planning on quitting in the near future, and so didn't care that you were insulting your boss, or
    2) You were looking to be fired, and your insults were a deliberate part of your plan.

jiey

Chinese dialect
    Is your boss a close and intimate friend of your? If not, if I were the boss and received such an e-mail, I would think that your note was not merely rude, offensive, and disrespectful, but was intentionally insulting, and meant as a provocation. I would also assume that
    1) You were planning on quitting in the near future, and so didn't care that you were insulting your boss, or
    2) You were looking to be fired, and your insults were a deliberate part of your plan.
    Thanks for being straightforward, Greenwhiteblue. I hope my boss would not think in that way, anyway I will try to explain, I really didnot mean it even I was really unsatisfied at that moment.

Well I double checked with my boss and get his comformation that he "use the word “crappy” all the time also.. J No offense taken". Maybe it really depends, nevertheless, I will avoid using it in any serious circumstance..

< Previous | Next >