crash / crush on the couch

MrMojoRising

Español de Argentina
Gracias Travelin Tom!!

Mmmm is it the same for pass out on sth?

1- Joan fell asleep in the car while she was waiting for me.
2- Joan passed out on the car while she was waiting for me.
3- Joan crashed on the car while she was waiting for me.

Which is more common to say?

Last edited:

TravelinTom

English - Texan
Crash, when used for going to sleep, is a colloquialism. It isn't the same as passing out but it means you are very sleepy and going to sleep right away. I don't know where it comes from; maybe instead of going to sleep at the wheel and crashing the car, I'm going to crash on your couch.

Last edited:

MrMojoRising

Español de Argentina
Bueno muchas gracias, creo que voy a usar "fall asleep" y "crash on the couch" para cuando tenga que decir que me quedé dormida (sobre algo o repentinamente) y si fue por drogas o alcohol diré "pass out".

Gracias.

Greek
quedarse dormido en el sillón?
In UK they often use: crAsh on the couch/floor meaning to find a place to sleep, e.g. can I crash on somebody's floor on Sunday? (=put up/host, hospedar).
There is also the expression I have a crUsh on somebody=to be in love, estar chiflado, enamorarse

:) Matini

Spanish- American & British English
No question, just a reminder for everyone not to mistake these two verbs:
To have a crush on someone is to be temporarily infatuated by that person
On the contrary to crash is to collide against or with an object, mainly used in car context.
Made a mistake, damn it!

Spanish- American & British English
Para mí "to crash on the sofa" o en el "couch" es como decir "me voy a colapsar en el sofa" signigicando que se está tan agotada que literalmente te da un colapso y eres inhábil para cualquier actividad, movimiento etc.
MR. Mojo. in your examples shouldn´t u always use the same preposition?
...IN the car?

Y el verbo pass out, when drugs or alcohol are involved I translate as "crujir". Personalmente elijo no crujirme jejeje