crashed on/against/into

< Previous | Next >

bamboo--tw

ROC/Mandarin
Some people said that a spaceship had crashed on some farmland.
A boat crashed against the rocks offshore and sanks.
Two hijacked commercial planes crashed into the World Trade Center.

Hi,
What are the differences among "crashed on, against, and into?" That is, when should I use "crashed on, against, and into?" Thanks.

• SoCalMezzo

English - American
    I think the difference is this... If a object comes from above and crashes onto something, you would say it crashes on it. If an object comes from the side, but does not go through something (it is stopped), then it crashes against it. If an object actually crashes through or into something (the object "continues" after initial impact), then it crashes into it. However, you can say "crash into" for just about any kind of "crash"...I think this is the most common expression.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    The last example is the easiest to explain. The airplanes actually went into (inside of) the World Trade Center buildings. Therefore, they "crashed into" the buildings.

In the first example, "on the farm" describes the location where the crash occurred.

In the second example, you could also use "on": "the boats crashed on the rocks offshore . . . ." To say they crashed "against" the rocks is just a bit more emphatic, to my ears.

Let's see if someone else can explain this better than I can.

Edit: I see SoCalMezzo can explain it better than I can!

< Previous | Next >