crashing

Crisbeato

Español
I can't work out what crashing means in this context.
(I assume that here, servers means computers. Am I right?)

Then,
1)Is crashing describing what the sound is like?
2)Does crashing means that his computers are failing?

"Imagine what could happen if a second-tier candidate with a first-rate message won a key primary. You’d hear the sound of his servers crashing, but, soon enough, ka-ching! "

Thanks a lot once again.

• KHS

I can't work out what crashing means in this context.
    (I assume that here, servers means computers. Am I right?)

Then,
    1)Is crashing describing what the sound is like?
    2)Does crashing means that his computers are failing?

"Imagine what could happen if a second-tier candidate with a first-rate message won a key primary. You’d hear the sound of his servers crashing, but, soon enough, ka-ching! "

Thanks a lot once again.
    There's a little word play going on here. I think they mean that the candidate wouldn't be expecting to win, so his computers wouldn't hold up to the influx of information/data that would come with a win. Thus, his servers/computers would be likely to crash (fail, go down). (No real sound here, but the writer is using the idea that many types of crashes include sound to tie into the sound evoked by 'ka-ching.')

Since candidates need lots of money to campaign successfully, an unexpected win in a primary would be likely to bring lots of attention, and thus more contributions to campaign funds. ('ka-ching' is the sound of a cash register.)

< Previous | Next >