Crave

• Muad Dib

Arabic
    Thanks, I believe <you> can pronounce it in two ways.../kreiv/ & /krav/. I now wonder whats the difference between them!

Last edited by a moderator:

sound shift

English - England
    Thanks, I believe <you> can pronounce it in two ways.../kreiv/ & /krav/. I now wonder whats the difference between them!
    Why do you believe that? Where have you heard it pronounced the second way? In over sixty years I have only ever heard it pronounced the first way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muad Dib

Arabic
    Have you listened to the clips? I can only hear one basic pronunciation: /kreiv/. I have never heard it pronounced any other way.
    Me too, I know its /kreiv/...... But someone showed me a dictionary with the phonetic transcription /krAv/ and the link you provided also has the phonetic transcription /krav/

london calling

UK English
    Me too, I know its /kreiv/...... But someone showed me a dictionary with the phonetic transcription /krAv/ and the link you provided also has the phonetic transcription /krav/
    The link I provided says (krāv).As Myridon says:
    /kreɪv/ IPA: uses //
    (krāv) not IPA: uses ()
    Most American dictionaries use their own systems for pronunciations. These two actually represent the same pronunciation.

< Previous | Next >