crayon- paint- color [verb]

< Previous | Next >

gingerr

Turkey Turkish
Hi. I am confused about th e word crayon.Can I use the word "crayon" for colored pencils,or is it only used for wax pastels?.Also I am confused about the verbs "to paint" and "to color". I think watercolours are for painting, crayons for coloring.Am I right? thanks for your help.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Crayons are different from colour/coloured/colouring pencils. You can 'colour in' a drawing with crayons and coloured pencils.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    To me, crayons are usually the waxy crayon but are also coloured pencils which are formally known as caran d'ache pencils. However, as crayon has its origins in the name caran d'ache, the conflation of the two has taken hold.

As a verb, to colour in is done by any means available.
    To crayon is to colour by the use of waxy crayons or caran d'ache pencils.

To paint is only used where paint (and usually a brush) is used.

Pastels are, basically, chalks.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I would use crayon only for the waxy type of coloring stick. This may be an AE-BE difference.

Also, in the original post, you should be consistent as regards using the spelling colour (BE) or color (AE). There are, of course, many other written differences between those two versions of English, including spelling and punctuation. You should choose one and try to follow it consistently.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    To me, crayons are usually the waxy crayon but are also coloured pencils
    Agreed, the term crayon is used for both.
    which are formally known as caran d'ache pencils. However, as crayon has its origins in the name caran d'ache, the conflation of the two has taken hold.
    Can you substantiate that, Paul? I'm not staking my reputation on it, but I think you're mistaken.
    I don't think there even exists such a thing as "caran d'ache", in the same way that there exists no such thing as a "pepsi" or a "rolls royce".
    Caran d'Ache is simply a brand name, derived from a 19th century cartoonist's pseudonym. The company makes coloured pastel pencils, among other things.

Surely the English word "crayon" is imported from French, where it means "pencil" in a broad sense, including those of the coloured variety.
    I don't think there is any etymological link between the Latin-derived crayon and the Russian karandash of Turkic origin, from which Poiré took his pseudonym.

Myridon

English - US
    However, as crayon has its origins in the name caran d'ache
    You've put the cart well before the horse.
    etymonline on crayon:
    1640s, from French crayon "pencil" (16c.), originally "chalk pencil," from craie "chalk," from Latin creta "chalk, pipe-clay," of unknown origin.
    Wikipedia on Caran d'Ache
    Caran d'Ache was the pseudonym of the 19th century French satirist and political cartoonist Emmanuel Poiré (November 6, 1858 – February 26, 1909). "Caran d'Ache" comes from the Russian word karandash (карандаш), meaning pencil (of Turkic origin; "karadash" meaning black stone — used for writing on a "karatash" meaning black slate)

< Previous | Next >