create knowledge in the form of a novel proof

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand "create knowledge in the form of a novel proof". Could I interpret it as "Create knowledge which is about a sequence of steps, statements, or demonstrations that leads to and establishes a valid conclusion " ?

the context is as follows:
===
The true work of the mathematician is not experienced until the later parts of graduate school, when the student is challenged to create knowledge in the form of a novel proof. It is common to fill page after page with an attempt, the seasons turning, only to arrive precisely where you began, empty-handed — or to realize that a subtle flaw of logic doomed the whole enterprise from its outset.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/the-singular-mind-of-terry-tao.html

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It is this meaning a novel:

of a new kind;
    different from anything seen or known before: novel solutions to old problems.
    The graduate student tries to create knowledge by developing a mathematical proof of something that hasn't been proven before -- or hasn't been proven in that way.

Irelia,
    I think you kind of miss the point. The novel proof (sequence of deductive steps) IS the new knowledge.

A budding mathematician is trying to add to knowledge. Mathematical knowledge is
    much of the time in the form of proofs. So to add to the body of knowledge, new proofs
    have to be found.

Hi everyone! I don't quite understand "create knowledge in the form of a novel proof". Could I interpret it as "Create knowledge which is about a sequence of steps, statements, or demonstrations that leads to and establishes a valid conclusion " ?

the context is as follows:
    ===
    The true work of the mathematician is not experienced until the later parts of graduate school, when the student is challenged to create knowledge in the form of a novel proof. It is common to fill page after page with an attempt, the seasons turning, only to arrive precisely where you began, empty-handed — or to realize that a subtle flaw of logic doomed the whole enterprise from its outset.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/the-singular-mind-of-terry-tao.html

< Previous | Next >