create 'you' a website

< Previous | Next >

Bartias

Polish
Hi,

I am not sure whether the collocation of a verb like "create", "prepare" or "make" + "you" is correct in English in the sense of "I can make a website for you", or "I can create a document for you".

I know that it is generally used in the sense of "Work can make you tired" or "Swimming will make you fit", however "I can make you a website" or "I can create you (a) document" sounds awkward (to say the least).

Thanks for advice

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    As far as idiomatic speaking/writing goes "I can make you a website" is fine.

On the other hand "I can create you a website" is not okay.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    It is entirely natural, common, ordinary English to say "make + pronoun" in the sense of "prepare something for the person named by the pronoun."

My mother made me my favorite foods for my birthday.
    I asked my tailor if he could make me a new suit in one week.
    Jane finally found a dressmaker who could make her the wedding dress she wanted.

kierkegaard

English - American
    In the sense of your original, I would agree, it would have to be "make you a website." But if I were showing it to my boss, I would go with "Would you like to see the website I created recently?" Building a website entails content creation, more or less. If you were showcasing content you wrote and how it is presented in a web site, the focus is on creation. If you just reorganized and mostly cut-and-pasted, that is more of a generic "making" in the sense of assembling components.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The ambiguity of "make + me (or any other pronoun):" does it mean make something for me, or make me into something? is the basis for many jokes:

A. Make me an omelet.
    B. I can't, you're too big to fit into the pan.

< Previous | Next >