Creating a road by driving a car

fastizio

Estonian
Hi there!

Le'ts say there are no roads in a forest and you start driving your car through that forest along the same route so eventually a path of some kind is created. How would you say this path was created? I think there may be a phrasal verb to convey the meaning but I just can't find it. Wear in? Run in? Any ideas anyone?

• owlman5

English-US
    This is a good question, Fastizio. I've seen language like this: "the track through the forest was worn by the passage of many vehicles". I don't think I'd use "wear" as a transitive verb unless I meant to say that the action occurred over a considerable length of time: Many wagons rolling through here have worn a path across the prairie.

If I were writing about a one-time event, I'd probably stick with the verb "make", which is handy in all kinds of situations: He rode his motorcycle across the flowers, making an ugly, muddy track. It's also common to use the verb "leave" with "track": They marched across the snow, leaving a track behind them as they went.

fastizio

Estonian
    Thank you very much, Owlman5! I need it for a list of different roads, paths, etc., so I should keep it as short and precise as possible. So could I say "paths worn by vehicles"?

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you very much, Owlman5! I need it for a list of different roads, paths, etc., so I should keep it as short and precise as possible. So could I say "paths worn by vehicles"?
    That sounds fine, Fastizio. Once again, people will probably get the idea that these paths have been created over a length of time. You could also use "paths made by vehicles" if you meant to say that the paths appeared suddenly after vehicles passed over something one time.

< Previous | Next >