Creating <an> Innovative Europe [why indefinite article?]

nimfae

Lithuanian
Good afternoon to all,
could somebody tell me why the indefinite article is used in the title of the Aho Group Report like in the sentence:

Aho Group Report on Creating an Innovative Europe was published in 2006.

is this a way of expressing emphasis?

• nimfae

Lithuanian
    I think, creating innovative Europe would be grammatically correct. Or have I forgotten some grammar rules...:confused:

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    The idea is that there are several possibilities available in the future, and this is just one of them. Suppose you had an artist talking about his vision of Lithuania in the future. He might say :
    "I don't want a dull Lithuania, or a boring Lithuania. I want to live in a Lithuania that is exciting and creative."

Does that help?

nimfae

Lithuanian
    I'm afraid not much...
    To live in a Lithuania... you mean, both:
    I want to live in a Lithuania that is exciting and creative
    and
    I want to live in Lithuania that is exciting and creative -both are correct?
    perhaps I need a rule to understand this better...:confused:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I think that this deals with projected possible futures for Europe, at least one of which had been envisioned as 'innovative'. (Cross-posted)

>> Is this only possible when we talk about the vision of the future?

Actually not, but I think there's some mileage in suggesting that it's only possible if we indulge the notion that things could be other than they are (maybe even right now).

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    It can be used when speaking of any number of hypotheticals, or possibilities, or alternatives:
    Augustus found a Rome that was built of brick, but at his death he left a Rome built of marble.

e2efour

UK English
    If you are an author, your aim is to write a book that sells a lot of copies. You cannot say write book or write best-selling book.
    A Lithuania that is creative
    is a particular view of Lithuania.

I want to live in Lithuania that is exciting and creative.
    :cross:
    I want to live in Lithuania, which is exciting and creative.:tick: (Here you are simply saying that Lithuania is an exciting place)
    I want to live in a Lithuania that/which is exciting and creative.:tick:

< Previous | Next >