creating unneurotically

< Previous | Next >

farima_mt

persian
Hi everybody,
" What I meant originally was that anonymous creation of art... was very unneurotic. And that is the best kind of all,creating unneurotically ;which was why the nineteenth-century romantic notion of original genius strikes me as very silly,and as having nothing to do with real creation."

Please help me to understand the relation between creating uuneurotically and the reason of the silliness of 19 century's art,does that mean in 19th they were creating neurotically?

HELP MEEEEEEEEEE,please.

• Randisi.

American English; USA
    From Wikipedia's entry on Romanticism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism:

The Romantic movement developed the idea of the absolute originality and artistic inspiration by the individual genius, which performs a "creation from nothingness;" this is the so-called Romantic ideology of literary authorship, which created the notion of plagiarism and the guilt of a derivativeness. This idea is often called "romantic originality." The romantic poets' turned their beliefs on originality into "the institution of originality." The English poet John Milton, who lived in the 17 century, was part of the origin of the concept.
    This idea was in contrast with the preceding artistic tradition, in which copying has been seen a fundamental practice of the creative process; and has been especially challenged since the beginning of the 20th century, with the boom of the modernist and postmodern movements.

farima_mt

persian
    Thanks but I got confused even more now,I really can't understand the meaning of " creating unneurotically",pleaseeeeee help me.

Randisi.

American English; USA
    As far as I can tell, the idea seems to be that self-centeredness is neurotic.

Creating art anonymously is not self-centered, hence not neurotic.

The Romantic idea of being an original genius is neurotic because it insists on authorship: "I, the genius, created this work!" Your author considers such self-centeredness neurotic. You aren't creating out of joy of creating, but only out of self-glorification.

I hope I've made that clear enough.

< Previous | Next >