credere in un principio in maniera fideistica

rutchen

Italian
Ciao, come tradurreste "credere in un principio in maniera fideistica (o fideisticamente) in inglese? grazie ;-)

• baldpate

UK, English
    Ciao,

Direi ...
    To believe in a principle uncritically/unquestioningly/unthinkingly
    o forse
    To believe blindly in a principle

baldpate

UK, English
    grazie! quindi é meglio 'blindly' che 'with blind faith'?

To believe blindly in a priciple
    ha lo stesso significato di
    To have blind faith in a principle
    oppure
    To believe in a principle with blind faith

Quest'ultimo mi suona un po' strano (ma non e' affatto scorretto).

Diddl

Italian -Italy
    Another possibility: "To believe in a principle as a matter of faith".

Hello, I have come across this thread while trying to translate the sentence: "Noi per fede e solo per fede crediamo al testo sacro, sebbene questo testo non abbia intendimento scientifico, come si è detto molte volte". The context is a priest's answer to a teenager who asks whether there were carnivorous animals in the Garden of Eden.
    I wonder if Einstein's solution might work in my context as well:

We believe the sacred text as a matter of faith and only as a matter of faith, although such text has no scientific purpose, as I have already said many times.

What do you think about it?
    Thank you in advance
    Diddl

rrose17

Canada, English
    I think “matter of faith” fits perfectly here. I think I would say “even though this text has no scientific basis...”

Gianfry

Italian
    Non capisco però perché hai tradotto "come si è detto" con "as I have said". Io direi "as it has been said/stated" o, riprendendo il "noi" iniziale, "as we have said/stated".

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Noi per fede e solo per fede crediamo al testo sacro,
    Ciao Diddl, a bit late maybe... but the priest's answer almost seems rooted in Hebrews 11 about faith. Every statement begins, "by faith/per fede"...which is what I would use here, By faith and only by faith do we believe in the holy text.

Diddl

Italian -Italy
    Ciao Diddl, a bit late maybe... but the priest's answer almost seems rooted in Hebrews 11 about faith. Every statement begins, "by faith/per fede"...which is what I would use here, By faith and only by faith do we believe in the holy text.

Well, @bicontinental , the point you make is definitely interesting. Honestly, I think that the priest wanted to emphasize the fact that the first eleven chapters of the book of Genesis should not be interpreted as a scientific explaination for the origin of the world. I'm very keen on Hebrews, especially on chapter 11, which provides an amazing definition of faith, but I don't think the priest wanted to stress the importance of faith in this context; all he meant was to clarify that the narrative of Genesis is not science. Nevertheless, Heb11:3 says that by faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. This being the case, the priest might have referred to that. I'm not sure, actually. But "by faith" is definitely a good option.
    Thank you so much for your answer!!!

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Thanks so much for your comment, Diddl...you would obviously know the full context, which I don't, so you should go with that. :)

Ciao!