credit card press

< Previous | Next >

Quantz

French
Context is a police precinct. In the lobby, there are many people waiting, and the author list them, amongst them :
"… prostitutes gripping their credit card presses".
What these credit card presses ? Sabot pour carte de crédit (supposant qu'aux USA on les paie aussi comme cela :)) ?
What else ? Context is no help, it's just a listing of people.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I imagine it's the machine (sabot?) used to acquire the information on a customer's charge card. But I've never heard it called that before.

tannen2004

English/USA
    What time period is this set in? Might it be one of the old "knucklebuster" manual credit card machines like this? Or maybe the merchant's copies that such machines produce? (If I recall correctly, there were two copies made - one for the merchant and one for the customer - and the merchant's copies had to be sent to a processing center in order for the charges to be made.)

EDIT: I just found this NY Times article that uses "credit card presses". It doesn't describe what they are at all, but it's at least confirmation that this isn't something of the author's invention

Quantz

French
    Yes, these are the manual "sabots", and not the electronic terminal we all know. Scene is in the late 80's but you still have taxis for instance who have these old "sabots" in Europe.
    Do you mean the "presses" could be also the receipts ?

Quantz

French
    Right, I didn't see your EDIT before to reply.
    At least, I learned today that hookers did accept credit cards in 1985…:eek:

< Previous | Next >