Creditors

Mr. Zbignew

Polish - Poland
Good day and thank you for helping me yet again.

I am describing an economic situation and these 'creditors' are being discussed for the first time.

i) Chinese investors borrowed a lot of money and took out large loans. If there is a crisis, creditors will call back their loans and there might be a cash crunch.

ii) Chinese investors borrowed a lot of money and took out large loans. If there is a crisis, the creditors will call back their loans and there might be a cash crunch.

Could you please be kind to tell me if both are correct with the no article/definite article in these examples.

I will tell you what I think. I think both are right but there is a small difference. I explain:

i) Creditors, it means any creditors and I have no particular creditors in mind.
ii) The creditors, it means the creditors that have given Chinese investors a lot of money and these large loans. It's implied that not any creditors, but the group that is implied by the situation.

I think (ii) is a bit better for this context, but either is correct.

Is mine interpretation correct in this and if not why? What would you use?

Again thank you.

Zbig

• Mr. Zbignew

Polish - Poland
    ii is awkward, ii is good, but their creditors is better.
    Thank you for replying so promptly, exgerman. I understand you mean that (i) is awkward and (ii) is good. 'Theirs' is better, yes, but I am having a problem with the definite article before plural nouns and I would like to know if my understanding is true. I want to learn how it works. It is very important to me.

Is (i) incorrect then?

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Thank you for replying so promptly, exgerman. I understand you mean that (i) is awkward and (ii) is good. 'Theirs' is better, yes, but I am having a problem with the definite article before plural nouns and I would like to know if my understanding is true. I want to learn how it works. It is very important to me.

Is (i) incorrect then?
    i suggests that other creditors of other debtors (not only creditors of the the Chinese investors) will also call in their loans.

< Previous | Next >