credo che mi mancherebbero tutto ciò che potrei fare e tutti quelli che potrei incontrare

the girl from back then

italian
Hello everyone!
it's my very first post here (but I often went here searching for help with translations ;) ).
My english is not perfect and I apologize for this but i'm here to learn. :thumbsup:
Well, I'll show you my doubt.
I'm applying for a "Leonardo Da Vinci" project, to do a training abroad. In a paragraph I'd like to explain this thing: "..credo che mi mancherebbero tutto ciò che potrei fare e tutti quelli che potrei incontrare in quei mesi". Reading this sentence in Italian is already complicated, I know, but all I want is writing a sentence in a good english :eek:.
What do you think about it?:
"MOSTOF ALL, I THINK I WOULD MISS EVERYTHING I WILL/COULD HAVE DONE AND EVERYONEI WILL/COULD HAVE MET DURING THAT MONTHS".
"MOST OF ALL, I THINK I WOULD MISS EVERYTHING I COULD DO AND EVERYONE I COULD MEET DURING THAT MONTHS".
What i want to say is that if I had the possibility to do this project, i know that after its end (in the future), I could feel nostalgic (of it). But, of course, I'm talking about a thing that I'm not sure to do, because actually I'm applying for it.
:confused:
Thank you for your help.
Bye!

• alsace1961

French/Italian bilingual
    Non sono madrelingua inglese, ma ecco la mia proposta:
    ... I believe I would miss all the things I could have done and all the people I could have met in those months.
    Però in realtà non è che ti mancherebbero, è che le rimpiangeresti! Quindi per me il verbo da usare non è MISS ma REGRET

E quindi
    I believe I would regret not having done the things I could have done and not having met the people I could have met in those months.

Last edited by a moderator:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Ciao, e benvenuta!

I'm not sure how it sounds in Italian, but to my ear it sounds a bit odd in English to talk about missing (in the sense of being nostalgic for, rather than in the sense of missing out on) activities you haven't yet done and people you haven't yet met.

Would it be possible to give us the sentences (in English or Italian) that precede and follow this sentence? I could be wrong, but it sounds more like you may want to express knowing that you will regret missed opportunities--as suggested by alsace's second translation--rather than the potential for nostalgia.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I think the idea is that "the girl from back then" will miss these things once they're over. Not missed opportunities, but missing an experience that at some point in the future will be in the past. :confused: But I agree with others who think this is a very strange concept to put in an application.

the girl from back then

italian
    Thanks for your answers!
    maybe I have to express in a different way what I'd like to say.
    Anyway, "miss" in this case should sounds like the meaning in the sentence "I miss you" (e.g. said by a boy in love with the loved one far away), and not like " I'm soaking wet because I miss my umbrella at home!".

Here's the question of the english application form:
    What wishes, hopes and fears do you have concerning this project?

Part of my answer:
    "[...] I am afraid that sixteen weeks pass quickly and It would be necessary spending more time in a successfull training, but I believe I would miss.."

That's the end of the answer.
    theartichoke: I know it sounds strange, because it's something haven't happen yet. I just want to say that I consider this project a great opportunity. so ,although I consider the time of the training quite short to have a complete successfull training(on the job), I know that I feel nostalgic after that.

Vorrei far intendere il mio entusiasmo e la positività che nutro nel progetto. Per questo dico di essere sicura che, una volta terminato, mi mancherà.

joanvillafane: I think you got the meaning.

I should change the answer.
    :( ..and shouldn't make something more difficult than it is :p

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    You could say something like, "Although the training period is only 16 weeks, I'm sure it will have long-term benefits and I will remember it and treasure it for a lifetime."

Edit: correction (removed "but")

Last edited:

GavinW

British English
    Good question, and good answer. But I think there's a danger of underplaying the OP's strong original idea of "missing" something.
    Maybe try this (too); ie perhaps you can incorporate this (or something like it) into your answer as well:

"I know I will look back on this experience with fond memories of all the things that I did, and all the people I met, only wishing that the experience could have lasted even longer!"

the girl from back then

italian
    Thanks GavinW.

What I want to say is simpler telling then writing. I did a mess with the construction of the sentence and the verbs. Also because italian and english verbs are not the same in any case. I don't want to transmit the message that I'm sure I'll pass the selection, because I don't want to sound presumptuous. For this reason I complicated the answer with a "future event/hypothesis".
    Nella domanda mi chiedono le fears. Quindi il succo(the core) della questione è: Io temo che 16 settimane siano poche, ma so che in fondo sarebbero sufficienti per sentire la mancanza delle persone che incontrerò (POTREI incontrare) e delle cose che farò (POTREI fare).

I could write something like this (mixing your suggestions):
    ".. Although the training period is only 16 weeks, I am sure it will have long-term benefits. and I will remember it and treasure it for a lifetime. I know I will look back on this experience with fond memories of all the things that I did, and all the people I met. I will treasure it for a lifetime, only wishing that the experience could have lasted even longer."

And stop think about the right tense with hundreds of event in my mind. I'll trust in you, english speakers :thumbsup:.
    Thanks again!!

< Previous | Next >