creeping up my butt

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ARGMAN, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    TV Show
    Friends – the United States, sitcom. (Season 3 Episode 23)

==============

[Scene: Central Perk, Phoebe’s singing, Vince is also there.]

Phoebe: (singing) “Crazy underwear, creepin’ up my butt. (Jason enters) Crazy underwear, always in a rut.

==============

It is a silly song, I know, But: Is it correct to say "creeping up my butt" instead of "creeping my up into my butt"? and what does "in a rut" add to the previous sentence? Is she saying that the underwear is like a lion that wants to eat her butt?

2. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    1. Songs don't always follow the same rules as ordinary language.
    2. The idiom to be in a rut means to cling to a habit. It also literally means to follow the grooves worn by a wheeled vehicle. I hope I don't have to draw you a picture?

3. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
  4. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    Why "up my butt" instead of "into my butt"?

The underwear is moving - creeping - into an uncomfortable place. It creeps up so that she has to tug it down. It may, or may not, actually be moving into her "butt crack."

5. To me there's also possible word play between two close expression "in a rut" (doing the same thing over and over as a habit) -- like wearing such underwear in public and always exposing herself -- and ("in rut"), used for an animal in heat during mating season, even if rut is used primarily for males and heat for females. (I think)

rut
    n.[countable;
    usually singular]
    1. Animal Husbandrythe period of year or time when deer, goats, etc., are sexually excited.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    In a rut could also be a slightly less explicit pun:
    1. "In a rut" - stuck in a habit
    2. In a literal rut - in the "rut" between her buttocks.

7. Yes, possible multi-puns in one word. (Which is actually very typical of the writing on this show.)

8. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    I see. So, creeping up here is not one word.

Creep - to move slowly, quietly, or cautiously
    (And TFD have also this definition: to approach slowly and stealthily (often fol. by up)

And "up" here is a prep which means "Toward or at a point farther along" or "In a direction toward the source of" or "From a lower to or toward a higher point on".
    P.S. to Sparky: there is nowhere for the underwear to go (in the butt) other than its crack and it is not higher than the butt itself, so it has to be considered "the center" or "the source" or "the target" of the butt that her underwear is creeping up to, because it is already on the butt, it doesn't have to creep up to it, that is why I got confused (It feels embarrassingly awkward discussing this, but I have to; sorry).

All that is confusing me now in "creep up my butt" is that the subject "underwear" is already on the object "the butt", so it does not have to creep up it. So unless it is the "creep - grow or spread, often in such a way as to cover (a surface)" definition (which doesn't make sense as well) it won't make sense with any of the prepositions (to, up, into, etc...).

9. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    The anus is farther up than where your underwear should be (unless you are wearing a thong (butt floss) in which case your underwear is up your butt when you first put it on).
    When your underwear is on your butt, it shouldn't be in the crack of your butt (the metaphorical "rut" above) unless it creeps up there into the crack.

10. Hermione Golightly

Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Phoebe must be one of the silliest people in the history of comedy. You're quite right about lower body underwear not being able to creep 'up', not in my experience anyway where creeping down is the more usual problem.
    I'd consider her song a nonsense song, unless she has knickers with a life of their own. She's probably thinking of a wedgie, if 'thought' and 'Phoebe' can be said together in one breath.
    All the same, knickers do have greater opportunity for creeping or wedging than do men's undergarments, although 'up would still be an exagggeration.
    'Creep' is an unpleasant word. It's also slang for a very unpleasant person, perhaps always applied to a man making furtive unwelcome advances.

11. Since you experience subject/object confusion here, don't forget that these are song lyrics being used in unusual ways.

The underwear is being addressed as though it is a person named "Crazy Underwear." (Or at least you can certainly take it that way, and I'm taking it that way in this post .:))

Plus, lots of things can get dropped out of English phrases and sentences as things understood but not stated:

"Crazy Underwear, [you who are ] creepin' up my butt"

A more "normal" example referring by phrase to a girl whose name is Sally:

Sally, always on my mind. = That girl named Sally is always on my mind.

12. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    So, do you mean that she might've dropped "into" that should come after "creeping up"?

13. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    If we are talking about the lowest part of the underwear, it makes sense. And a wedgie could be a very good explanation (Although it couldn't be done in real life... wait, could it?).

14. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    Regarding No. 1, what would be the habit in this example? Is it about the underwear being always creeping up her butt?

15. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    Yes. Her underwear was in the habit of creeping up her butt.

16. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    So, is "always" redundant in her sentence?

17. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    I wouldn't say so, but I see your point.

18. ARGMAN Senior Member

Bahrain
    Arabic
    Thank you, Sparky.