1. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
    I have researched this ingredient: "crème de riz". I found that it can be translated as two different recipe ingredients. One is "rice flour", something like potato starch but made with rice. The other is a traditional French dessert with the same name: "crème de riz." I can't tell in the 3 contexts below which it is. It's not obvious for me. In another recipe I thought it must be "rice flour but was told that, no, it refers to the dessert. Can anyone help?

I have already translated the text which is handwritten. I only need help with the contextual translation of this ingredient (rice flour or a dessert)

Merci!

Moka au chocolat (Chocolate Mocha):

For the cookie: Beat 6 egg whites with a “wine-glass-full” of powdered sugar as well as crème de riz, a little vanilla and stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into a buttered mold/pan and bake in the oven ½ hour.
    For the cream: Vigorously mix with 125 grams of fine butter 125 g of chocolate softened by the fire (or in the oven) with a little water, 2 egg whites and some powdered sugar, according to taste. From this cream, which should be smooth and creamy, put one layer between each part of the cookie cut into fourths in a horizontal sense. Cover the “reconstructed” cookie with the rest of the cream.

Pain de gênes (Bread of Gênes)

125 g peeled almonds
    125 g sugar
    60 to 75 g butter
    3 eggs
    a little vanilla
    15 g crème de riz

Grind/crush the almonds and add the eggs, the sugar, the flavoring (vanilla), the crème de riz, and the butter. Melt while stirring well. Put in a sponge cake mold wherein the bottom is covered with papier beurré (buttered paper, not the same as waxed paper). Bake 35 minutes at medium heat.

Gâteau fourré à l’angélique

(Cake with Candied Angelica Stems) 12 biscuits de Reims *, a little big

Angelique confite**
    For the cream:
    2 tablespoons of crème de riz
    100 g powdered sugar
    2 eggs
    6 sugar cubes
    (original: delayer a froid la crème de riz avec le lait, ajouter le sucre en poudre, faire epaissir sur le feu, laisser cuire dix minute) First prepare the cream: mix well the cold crème de riz with cold milk (doesn’t state how much milk) until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, thicken on the stove. Let cook 10 minutes.

Crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of warmed-up cream with the yolks. Remove pan from heat. Mix the rest of the cream with the eggs. Thicken for a moment and remove at the first sign of boiling. Let cool.
    Arrange the biscuits in a compote dish or fruit bowl after getting them wet in lukewarm sugar water. Cover the biscuits with the cream. Stud the cake with little sticks of candied anglelica to make it look like a hedgehog. Keep in a cool place.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. Schmorgluck Senior Member

Nantes, France
    French - France
    I'd risk the guess that it's rice flour in the three recipes, because they don't seem to include any other kind of flour, even though they should have one. I mean, cookies, bread, cake, without flour?

3. digya12 Senior Member

in all 3 examples, crème de riz means rice starch.
    in the third one, "délayer à froid" simply means the rice starch is mixed with a cold liquid, in that case milk. it doesn't mean the crème de riz has to be cold itself.

it is true indeed that "crème de riz" could be a kind of custard made with rice or rice flour, but it's very unfrequent in french cuisine, and for that reason a recipe involving such a custard would have to explain how it's obtained.

4. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
    Thank you, Schmorgluck. You have a good point and you're French too! I was told in the recipe below it should the dessert and not "rice flour." Do you agree?

By the way, I love your interesting and creative user name! Do you have a German connection?

Bien Aimé (Beloved)
    1 liter of milk—keep a little of it for mixing with *crème de riz. Boil the milk with sugar and vanilla. When it boils, place the crème de riz therein and let it cook until it has thickened. Place 6 egg yolks therein and let it cool. Then beat the egg whites until very stiff. Butter a mold/pan, fill it with the boiled mixture and egg whites. Let it cook in the oven with **bain-marie (bath water). Garnish with apricot coulis (fruit puree). Serve cold. Crème de riz: 5 spoonfuls for one liter, mix cold and pour in the boiling milk. Let it boil five minutes, stirring constantly.

5. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
    Merci, Digya12. Very helpful. I dig ya :)

6. digya12 Senior Member

:)
    in the Beloved recipe, it's rice starch again, no doubt.

7. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
    My goodness. I'm glad I found you before finishing this.

Thanks so much!

8. Kitcitwapien

Kitcitwapien Senior Member

Québec (Abitibi)
    Français - Québec
  9. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
    This sounds like a hot cereal, according to the link you posted. Are you sure it's the same as "creme de riz"?

10. kielipaa Senior Member

English - United States
  11. Kitcitwapien

Kitcitwapien Senior Member

Québec (Abitibi)
    Français - Québec
    That's the tricky part: it is both a coarse rice flour AND the hot cereal you prepare with it. Same kind of stuff as crème de blé.

12. digya12 Senior Member

don't confuse Nabisco Cream of Rice, which is sold on the Northern American market, and crème de riz which is a product already mentioned in Auguste Escoffier's Guide Culinaire (1903).
    Here is another link with apparently reliable information : http://www.gourmandines.fr/definition-creme-de-riz.php.
    So crème de riz is cooked rice flour. I talked about starch because it looks as starch, and it's used the same way as corn starch or potato starch (you've got to mix it with cold liquid before heating, to prevent it from forming lumps) and with a similar purpose.