crib [to test furniture for catching fire]

Andrew1980

What does crib means in this fire safety regulation? Is it child's bed or just wooden structure, can you say this exactly?

BS7175:1989
[...]
BS 7175:1989 describes the method of test for bedcovers and pillows using smouldering and flaming ignition sources. There are three categories of test material distinguished within the method.

1. Pillows and continental quilts (i.e. the test specimen comprises all components which make up the finished item).
  2. Individual bedcovers (ie. mattress cases & covers, sheets, pillow slips, blankets, bedspreads and continental quilt covers).
  3. Composites of known bedcovers and pillows.
Eight possible ignition sources may be used. Source 0 is a smouldering cigarette, 1 to 3 are butane flames and 4 to 7 are wooden cribs. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Crockett

US English
    Since the testing is about fires igniting in and on beds, pillows, and bed covers- I'm guessing that 'wooden cribs' is referring to 'baby beds made of wood.'

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Looking at the images, it would appear that the 'cribs' in question may be the little crate-like structure that you see both beneath the table (fig1), and upon the table (fig3).
    This may be an intrinsic part of the conflagration simulation - only speculating you understand.

Andrew1980

That's exactly what I say it does not look like a baby bed, may be it is just the simulation of the baby bed, but this is only just a speculation also. I wonder just why this is called the ignition source equal to smouldering cigarette and butane gas, may be it is a sort of ash-tray. I must look into this deeper I think

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    That's exactly what I say it does not look like a baby bed, may be it is just the simulation of the baby bed, but this is only just a speculation also. I wonder just why this is called the ignition source equal to smouldering cigarette and butane gas, may be it is a sort of ash-tray. I must look into this deeper I think
    Well, a crib is not necessarily a cot, or a sweet baby's bed. It could refer to a number of other structures or spaces. I think in this context, they have devised an experiment to learn more about how fire spreads from various sources. Often when an experiment is devised, certain bits of apparatus are created that previously never had shape. When they come to write up the results, names have to be found for these newfangled components - this one looks a little like a wicker basket (at least it has a weave to it), so they might have called it a crib for that reason. Or maybe they thought it resembled a seed container, and called it a crib for that reason. To me it looks more like a Jenga tower, but I don't think Jenga was very well known in 1989.

Andrew1980

Thanks a lot, It will all take too much time I think to probe into this and I will stop by wooden structure in the whole, They must have investigated maybe how the fire spreads withing different wooden structures like bookcases and beds and cots etc. with restricted wooden frame

Loob

English UK
    Hello Andrew

Google tells me that a 'crib' in this sort of context is a small wooden structure which is set alight close to a piece of furniture to test how quickly the furniture will catch fire - see this article for example (my highlighting):
    • BS 7176 Low Hazard: The test requirements include two applications of a smouldering cigarette (as per EN 1021-1) and three applications of a match flame ignition source (as per EN 1021-2), which are applied to the cover and filling composite. [...]
    • BS 7176 Medium Hazard: The test requirements include those mentioned above in ‘Low Hazard’, plus a flame ignition source 5, which is specified in BS 5852 Section 4. Ignition source 5 is a small wooden crib 65mm tall, which is ignited with the help of a small amount of alcohol.
    As indicated in your picture, there are different sizes of crib, 5 being - apparently - the smallest.

< Previous | Next >