1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Cricket ball [grasshopper testicle]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by LMED, Feb 17, 2015.

1. LMED Senior Member

Spanish
    Hello, everybody!

I came across this joke in my English class:

"If I had one cricket ball in one hand and another cricket ball in the other hand, what would I have? A damn big cricket"

I'm afraid I can't understand this joke, though I guess it must lie in the ambiguity of the word cricket - it refers to both an 'insect' and a 'ball game'. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the joke to me.

Thank you very much in advance

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    No, it's the ambiguity of the word 'ball'.

'Balls' is a euphemism for testicles. So the joke lies in the idea of holding the testicles of a giant cricket (insect).

3. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    It's a play on the double meaning of the word "ball." At the beginning of the joke, we think of a "cricket ball" as the round object with which the game of cricket is played. At the end, the meaning shifts to the slang term for testicle. If you had the testicle of a cricket (the insect) in each hand, it would be a very large cricket.

(Not that crickets have testicles on the outside.)

[Cross-posted with heypresto]

4. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    "Ball" is also a slang word for testicle. :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    There is another version of the joke that involves moths. ;)

6. LMED Senior Member

Spanish
    Wow! I was completely wrong! Thank you very much indeed. How embarrassed I feel now! :eek:

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    No you weren't, and you certainly shouldn't feel embarrassed. It's a play on both words - cricket and ball.