Cricket`s terms

mehrk

Turkish
Hello Everyone

Here is another paragraph that contains cricket`s terms. (from Jasper Jones novel):

"I watch Jeffrey bowl his first ball, and it’s right on the spot. In fact, it dips and turns sharply, clipping the off stump of Jacob Irving, who planted his foot and took a ridiculous swipe. Jeers and laughter erupt from the bowlers. As I expect, Irving bends and plucks the ball from the back of the net, and belts it hard and square. He spits toward Jeffrey, then claps his gloved hands together and sneers, “Ah, me so solly!” "

Again, there`s some ambiguous and unknown terms to me here (which I Bold-ed them), I`d be grateful if you help me understand them.

Thank you all.

• Barque

Tamil
    It's one question per thread, so I'll answer just the first one.
    "I watch Jeffrey bowl his first ball, and it’s right on the spot.
    This can mean both "It was exactly what was needed" and "It landed on just the right spot".
    It's right on the spot - It landed exactly on the correct place.
    When a bowler (the equivalent of a baseball pitcher) bowls to a batsman, the ball is meant to bounce once before it reaches the batsman and where it bounces makes a difference to how effective it is in dismissing the batsman or keeping him from scoring.

lingobingo

English - England
    it’s right on the spot — it’s bang on target, aimed exactly where it should be

clipping the off stump of Jacob Irving — nicking one of the stumps of the wicket (the one on the side of his toes rather than his heels, whether he’s right- or left-handed) when he was batting

planted his foot and took a ridiculous swipe — moved forward with one foot and tried (embarrassingly badly) to hit the ball with his bat

Whoops! Didn’t think of these as different questions. :oops::D

Barque

Tamil
    (the one on the side of his toes rather than his heels, whether he’s right- or left-handed)
    I never thought of it that way before but I guess you could put it that way.

Mehrk, to elaborate on "stumps", they are three sticks stuck into the ground that the batsman protects when he bats. Here's a photo.

The one farthest from him is the off stump, the next is the middle stump and the one closest to him is the leg stump.

heypresto

English - England
    At the risk of going off-topic, I thought it might helpful to explain rules of cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
    Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
    When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
    Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
    There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
    When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

:D

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    At the risk of going off-topic, I thought it might helpful to explain rules of cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
    Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
    When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
    Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
    When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
    There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
    When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

:D
    And sometimes, when the sun's not out and the rain moves in, they all come in for a bit and if the sun comes out again, those who were out go out again and some of the others stay in while those who just went out again keep trying to get those who are in, out again :D

mehrk

Turkish
    I never thought of it that way before but I guess you could put it that way.

Mehrk, to elaborate on "stumps", they are three sticks stuck into the ground that the batsman protects when he bats. Here's a photo.

The one farthest from him is the off stump, the next is the middle stump and the one closest to him is the leg stump.
    This was very useful. Thank you so much.

mehrk

Turkish
    it’s right on the spot — it’s bang on target, aimed exactly where it should be

clipping the off stump of Jacob Irving — nicking one of the stumps of the wicket (the one on the side of his toes rather than his heels, whether he’s right- or left-handed) when he was batting

planted his foot and took a ridiculous swipe — moved forward with one foot and tried (embarrassingly badly) to hit the ball with his bat

Whoops! Didn’t think of these as different questions. :oops::D
    Thanks a lot lingobingo. I like your profile pic by the way. :)

< Previous | Next >