Cricket terms

mehrk

Turkish
Hello

Please read the following sentences:

"Jeffrey’s next delivery produces a leading edge, and it skips past him at the non-strikers’ end. Most of the bowlers let it run through them; one of them kicks it along."

It`s again from Jasper Jones novel and here Charlie and his friend, Jeffery, are playing cricket. I wonder if "produce a leading edge" means scoring a run and therefore put his the team ahead of the opponent. And, I don`t have the first idea about the "skips past him...""!

thanks for your help.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "Jeffrey’s next delivery = "The next ball that Jeffrey bowls
    produces = creates
    a leading edge = an example of the ball hitting the right-hand1 side, close (to the edge) of the batsman's bat. Because of the slightly convex shape of the surface of the bat, the ball does not travel directly back the way it arrived, but at a slight angle.

1 assuming a right-handed batsman.

it skips past him at the non-strikers’ end this requires a new question. :thumbsup:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    You really should bookmark the wikipedia page on cricket terms! Glossary of cricket terms - Wikipedia :D

Leading edge: The ball hitting the front edge of the bat as opposed to its face, when playing a cross-bat shot such as a pull. Often results in an easy catch for the bowler or a skier for someone else.[1]
    And, of course, the dictionary skip - WordReference.com Dictionary of English and see if one of the definitions might fit the context...

skip v. to ricochet or bounce along a surface:The stone skipped over the lake.
    Or The ball bounced along the ground ,,, :)

Cross-delivery :)

mehrk

Turkish
    "Jeffrey’s next delivery = "The next ball that Jeffrey bowls
    produces = creates
    a leading edge = an example of the ball hitting the right-hand1 side, close (to the edge) of the batsman's bat. Because of the slightly convex shape of the surface of the bat, the ball does not travel directly back the way it arrived, but at a slight angle.

1 assuming a right-handed batsman.

it skips past him at the non-strikers’ end this requires a new question. :thumbsup:
    First, I thank you for your reply. You said "the ball that Jeffery bowls", then how the ball can skip pass him?!... it skips past him at the non-strikers’ end... I mean that`s not possible that the bowler (here, Jeffery) bowls the ball and then ball passes himself... Or may be I misunderstood something!

Thanks again

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    First, I thank you for your reply. You said "the ball that Jeffery bowls", then how the ball can skip pass him?!... it skips past him at the non-strikers’ end... I mean that`s not possible that the bowler (here, Jeffery) bowls the ball and then ball passes himself... Or may be I misunderstood something!

Thanks again
    Yes - you missed that the batsman hit the ball back in his direction* - the definition of "leading edge" will help - and Jeffrey, the bowler, is located at the non-striker's end (that's where the bowler bowls from).

We know this because we are told that the ball goes by the bowler :)

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Jeffery (and all bowlers) bowls from the non-striker's end - it therefore skips past him (i.e. Jeffrey.)

< Previous | Next >