cricket

Discussion in 'English Only' started by traslatornotyet, Apr 27, 2015.

1. traslatornotyet New Member

Russian
    Hello, everybody!
    Can you explain to me in what meaning the word cricket is used in the following sentence or what the metaphore means?
    Would it be cricket for Brown to try to stay on
    , Dimbleby asked. The difficulty with this argument is that two teams are not playing cricket, and once you put Labour and the Liberal Democrat seats together, the yellow-red alliance has more seats than the Tories and far more of the popular vote. (The Guardian)

Thanks!

2. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    It means to 'be fair/right'.

Traditionally, in the game of cricket,one was expected to play fairly and properly, 'like a gentleman', so this has become an idiom.

In the second occurrence, the writer points out that politics is not a game of cricket so the rules of fair play do not apply.

3. traslatornotyet New Member

Russian
    Thanks a lot!!!

4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

You might find this old thread of interest traslatornotyet - it's about the negative form (which I think is more common), not cricket. Both versions are, of course, generally confined to British English rather than American English.

5. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Oh, I dunno; I've heard "cricket" in the sense of ethical/fair here in the US.

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Yes, of course, but it's not common. That's why I said "generally." :) I'd go so far as to say that when AmE speakers use it, they are generally doing so to deliberately sound a bit British.