crime is steep

Moon Palace

French
Hello everyone,

I wish to find different ways of saying crime is on the rise / increasing... Would it be correct to say crime is steep? I have checked the definition, it seems to fit but oddly enough, there aren't many reliable quotations available on the internet.
So that I would like forum members - ie reliable native speakers :) - to confirm or correct my impression.

Thanks in advance.

• e2efour

UK English
    I don't think steep can be used with crime, unless we are talking about the rate of increase/decrease.
    There is a meaning of steep that is "unduly high" or "unreasonable", but it refers to prices. "That's a bit steep!" means that's rather expensive.

Moon Palace

French
    Many thanks to the two of you for preventing me from making a mistake, indeed it makes more sense to talk of steep crime rates.

JamesM

I wouldn't use it with crime rates but with increases or decreases, as e2efour said.

"There has been a steep increase in crime lately."

"The crime rate is steep" sounds odd to me.

Moon Palace

French
    Thanks JamesM, I get your point. It is true there aren't many occurrences of this phrase available on the web, yet this one published by an American police foundation uses it.

< Previous | Next >