cripple- had crippled him (not physically)

kaoruca

Español - España
Hi guys

I would like you to help me find a suitable term here. I'm not sure about the right word...
Kanryu took a child and used drugs and torture on him, so that he became a slave at the end; he lost his soul and his own self and became that man's murderer. He twisted him and now he acts as a robot. The girl has a meeting with Kanryu and is asking him whether he will await her at home or somewhere else.

It wasn't that she didn't want him with her; it wasn't that she wouldn't take him, if she could. If she thought he was ready. He deserved that much, to face the man who'd crippled him. But for all the strides he'd made – even given what he'd just done – he wasn't strong enough, not yet. And she would not let Kanryu hurt him again.​

My try:

No era que no lo quisiera a su lado; no era que no se lo llevaría con ella si pudiera. Si pensase que estaba listo. Se lo merecía, enfrentarse al hombre que lo había tullido. Pero, a pesar de todos los pasos que había dado —e incluso teniendo en cuenta lo que acababa de hacer—, no era lo suficientemente fuerte, aún no. Y no dejaría que Kanryu lo hiriera de nuevo.​

I'm afraid the best word I can think of.
Thank you all.

• kaoruca

Español - España
    ¿Qué te parece lisiado? Cuestión de matices quizá.
    Un saludo
    Sí, supongo que me tengo que referir a algo físico, aunque esté implícito algo "mental", digamos.
    Había pensado en "mermado", pero parecería que le ha quitado capacidad de raciocinio (lo cual es cierto, de alguna forma), pero volviéndolo más "tonto", como si tuviera un daño cerebral (físico) y no pudiera desempeñar ciertas tareas mentales porque su cerebro es incapaz y no es así. Es un "daño cerebral" inducido por tortura, grabado en su comportamiento. Además, "mermado" quedaría muy solo, ¿no?

Gracias, Elcanario

Masood

British English
    Alternatives to crippled him (referring to the child):
    destroyed his soul
    destroyed his very being
    sapped him of his own free will.

I'm not helping, am I?

kaoruca

Español - España
    Alternatives to crippled him (referring to the child):
    destroyed his soul
    destroyed his very being
    sapped him of his own free will.

I'm not helping, am I?
    You're always helpful! Thank you so much.

Here, I guess it refers to "stealing his soul and his heart", so he has been crippled. He cannot choose, he does and thinks what his master (mistress here) does or tells him to (She is trying to change this and he is healing, but very slowly). He has not a true self right now: "he had no choice but to stay with her. He wasn't hers, not really. He hadn't asked for this any more than she had, and she needed to remember that. He could never be hers, because he had no self to give freely: Kanryu had taken it from him by force; she had taken it from Kanryu by accident. And now she held it in trust against the day that he was strong enough to take it back".

Masood

British English
    You're always helpful! Thank you so much.

Here, I guess it refers to "stealing his soul and his heart", so he has been crippled. He cannot choose, he does and thinks what his master (mistress here) does or tells him to (She is trying to change this and he is healing, but very slowly). He has not a true self right now: "he had no choice but to stay with her. He wasn't hers, not really. He hadn't asked for this any more than she had, and she needed to remember that. He could never be hers, because he had no self to give freely: Kanryu had taken it from him by force; she had taken it from Kanryu by accident. And now she held it in trust against the day that he was strong enough to take it back".
    I think any of my alternatives can fit this description. Probably the last one is most fitting.
    destrozando/debilitando su libre albedrío [?]

< Previous | Next >