Crisp + colour

< Previous | Next >

Kurayami

Spanish, Spain
Is it possible to use the adjective crisp to describe a colour?
(From a lipstick advert) "... pure pigments create richer, ?crisper colour". Does that make sense? And what would its meaning be?

Thank you.

• DS56

English
    It sounds like advertising language to me -- not standard, but vivid.

"Crisp" means something like "sharp," which also doesn't make literal sense, does it? I agree with bibliolept's paraphrases: "vivid," "bright," "strong."

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, crisp colour occurs particularly in advertising, as DS56 says. Cameras are said to take pictures with crisp colours. And of course Kurayami's lipstick advert.

'Crisp' means brittle and firm and therefore used to make thinly sliced potato that has been fried (BrE crisps = AmE chips). Crisps that are not fresh are not crispy. Fresh snow is crispy. So the connotations are of freshness (as well as vividness or brightness mentioned earlier).

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Crisp is often used to describe colors in print and on various types of monitors/TVs. This is actually a reference to firm, sharp lines between colors, without any blurring or bleeding of tones. Used in this way, it makes some sense, but it is marketing at work again.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    I would understand it, in terms of lipstick, to mean a colour which is clearly contrasted with the surrounding area (which, surely, all lipstick is?).

I might also understand 'crisp colour' to mean a golden yellow. :)

adno

Czech
    Crisp is often used to describe colors in print and on various types of monitors/TVs. This is actually a reference to firm, sharp lines between colors, without any blurring or bleeding of tones. Used in this way, it makes some sense, but it is marketing at work again.
    I think that it is more often used when referring to the overall image. What comes to your mind when you hear that a monitor produces a "crisp image": sharpness and precision or vivid colors? (I would say both, but the sharpness may be more important.) Would vivid colours and blurred contours qualify for a crisp image? Can a black and white monitor produce a crisp image? (Perhaps yes, but not with greyish tones of black and white?)

< Previous | Next >