Crisp fold and a snap

TOTO KAKA

Persian
Hello everyone

It would be my pleasure to receive a paraphrase for the following sentence.

To be honest, I can't get the point of the last part of it. I don't know what he has actually done after turning the page, closing the magazine or stretching it open!

In short, please let me know what "crisp fold and a snap" means in this sentence.

"He executes an unhurried turn of the page followed by a crisp fold and a snap".

Thanks for making time

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Can you tell us where the sentence is from, please, and if possible a little bit more about what it actually refers to? Thanks.

TOTO KAKA

Persian
    This phrase is part of a description on Nelson Mandela, while reading newspaper in his office. Here's the link to the original web page (full interview with him):

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,982916,00.h...

Here is more text.

"A little after 7 a.m. Mary Mxadana, the secretary whom Mandela refers to as "my boss", brings in newspapers and a stack of correspondents (among the letters is a handwritten note from Queen Elizabeth II thanking Mandela for hosting a Royal visit the previous month). Mandela reads five papers each morning, with obvious enjoyment an unflappable absorption. Finishing an article, he executes an unhurried turn of the page followed by a crisp fold and a snap."

The question "what does (a crisp fold and a snap mean?)" remains unanswered.

Thanks and waiting for your replies

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    He folded the page back crisply (i.e. making a straight fold, not letting the page flop) and then snapped the newspaper open (i.e. tugged the left and right-hand edges apart making a snapping noise).

The whole sentence expresses clear decision-making and determination.

This is not a crisply-folded paper:

This is a crisp fold:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >