critical breakdown point/the economy is screaming

< Previous | Next >

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
Speech : "There are circumstances when a country reaches a CRITICAL BREAKDOWN POINT. This point is approached when the economy is screaming and the centre ground is disappearing. And in concrete terms when there is a significant external threat which requires more energetic from the security services. We believe three major terror attacks by the IRA would provoke such a BREAKDOWN and require a different kind of government."

When the economy is screaming : does it mean : when the economy is "ill" ?
What is the exact meaning of "breakdown" here ?

• SPQR

US
    American English
    Speech : "There are circumstances when a country reaches a CRITICAL BREAKDOWN POINT. This point is approached when the economy is screaming and the centre ground is disappearing. And in concrete terms when there is a significant external threat which requires more energetic from the security services. We believe three major terror attacks by the IRA would provoke such a BREAKDOWN and require a different kind of government."

When the economy is screaming : does it mean : when the economy is "ill" ?
    What is the exact meaning of "breakdown" here ?
    "Screaming", in my opinion, in this context, means "not doing well". I say this because of the use of "centre ground is disappearing" and the use of the word "breakdown". If the economy were doing well, the more common term would be "humming". But I could be wrong, since this is BE (centre).

"Breakdown" here means to "falter" "fall apart" "stop working".

clairanne

english UK
    hi

It means that a country can reach a point at which the economy fails i.e. "critical breakdown point" when the economy is overstretched or "screaming" because more money has to be spent on security forces due to the extra pressure of terrorist attacks.

< Previous | Next >