critique of the United States?

sky753

Chinese
Hello Everyone,

Recently Iran President advocated on several occastions that it is the US instead of al Qaeda launched the 9.11 terrorists attacks. Here is part of the news from Yahoo online. And I would like to know here why the writer use critique of the United Sates as critique means the report of something. It is improper for us to say "someone report something" ?

It's not often foreign leaders are chastised by al Qaeda for going too far in their critique of the United States--but Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has somehow managed the trick. Ahmadinejad is already facing bruising attacks at home from conservative Iranian clerics and politicians on several fronts--and now al Qaeda representatives are assailing him for peddling conspiracy theories that deny the terrorist group's culpability for the Sept. 11 attacks.

You can click [url]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/al-qaeda-slams-iran-peddling-9-11-conspiracy-183407514.html[/URL] to get the full story.

Thanks and Regards

Sky

• owlman5

English-US
    I usually see the word "critique" used in academic language to describe any formal, critical examination of a topic. The writer could have used the word "criticism" just as easily but chose "critique" instead. Perhaps the writer wished to emphasize the formality of the criticism offered by foreign leaders. I think you can safely regard the words as loose synonyms in this sentence. Here's a definition from M-W for "critique"*: an act of of criticizing; especially a critical examination of a thing or situation...

*"critique." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

< Previous | Next >