1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

cross country skiing trails

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Honza, May 7, 2006.

  1. Honza

    Honza Senior Member

    Olomouc, Czech Republic
    Czech / Czech Republic
    I'm looking for a right word and I'm unable to find it anywhere. Maybe some of you who like cross country skiing could help me.
    I'm translating a guide for cross country skiers, describing various skiing trails/tracks our mountains. Several systems are used to mark the trails - colour signs, direction indicators and sticks/bars/rods stuck in the snow (for instance they are used in fields or meadows where no other system can be used). Skiers are supposed to follow these marks. How would you call them? Stick marking, rod marking, stick signs, bar marking...? Which of these is undestandable for you?
    Thank you for any idea
  2. deddish Senior Member

    Ontario, Canada
    English .ca
    I think you could just say "markers in the snow", or maybe "pole-shaped markers". (I don't know exactly what these things are, sorry, but it's my best logical bet.)
  3. Kelly B

    Kelly B Senior Member

    USA English
    "Trail markers" is the general term, I think; in my area it is used the same way as for hiking trails. It includes signs, poles and blazes (paint marks) on trees. I also found "snowpoles" on several sites - check an "images" search.
  4. virtdave Senior Member

    english, USA
    Blazes is very often used, and trail markers would be well understood. Blazes need not be (though they often are) painted; in AE, blaze was originally used to mean a mark cut into a tree to mark a trail.
  5. Honza

    Honza Senior Member

    Olomouc, Czech Republic
    Czech / Czech Republic
    Thank you very much! This really helped me.

Share This Page