1. Philip(pe)

Philip(pe) Senior Member

Boston
    English - US; Russian
    Qui a une idée pour traduire crossing guard en français ? C’est quelqu’un qui aide les enfants descendant de l'autobus scolaire à traverser la rue en sécurité.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  2. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    I found brigadière scolaire here, but brigade scolaire would make more sense.

3. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    The French version of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act calls these persons " passeurs scolaires ".

On the other hand, the bilingual Town of Hawkesbury in the Ottawa Valley calls these persons " brigadier/brigadière scolaire ". See here, item 6.2 of the City Council minutes.
    Similarly, City of Ottawa, Transportation Committee meeting agenda, item 13 [" brigadiers scolaires adultes "].

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. Philip(pe)

Philip(pe) Senior Member

Boston
    English - US; Russian
    Merci ! Brigadier / brigadière scolaire semble être très utilize au Québec, mais est-ce que cela existe aussi en France ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  5. fabiou Senior Member

Montreal, Quebec
    English and French
    Leave it to the British to think of calling these a "lollipop man"!!! Absolutely delightful! Thank you for sharing this with us.

6. youngneil

youngneil Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    No, we do have people guarding crossing paths in France near schools, but the thing is that they are often police.

Sometimes also persons doing "des travaux d'intérêt général".

I guess we can talk about "agents de circulation", but it will refer only to police persons.

PS : please correct my mistakes in English!

7. fabiou Senior Member

Montreal, Quebec
    English and French
    Here in Quebec, these people are called BRIGADIER SCOLAIRE, or BRIGADIÈRE SCOLAIRE. They help school children cross a busy street by stopping traffic with their lollipop, hmmm, I mean STOP sign. What a delightful way to refer to them as "lollipop men and ladies"!!!

8. tourtinet Member

french -France
    but in france, I read only " agents en charge de la traversée des écoles " "agents pour la sortie d'école" . ( I search on Google, and the places who hire -city halls - say only that.

But, it's long.