Crossing The Line (Presumptuous)

RhoKappa

Standard American English
This expression, meaning presumptuous, is most commonly used among people. It means doing something beyond the norms of decency and good tact. Here are some examples.

1. Yuri tells Tanya she can order anything she wants from the menu, but she orders the most expensive entrees and the most expensive wine. Yuri tells her, "That's crossing the line!"
2. Katerina Witt crossed the line at the Olympics for wearing skimpy clothing during her figure skating performances.
3. A ballerina was disqualified for her performance which the judges deemed crossing the line.

I know самонаденный means presumptuous in Russian, but do they have an equivalent expression similar to crossing the line?

• Maroseika

Russian
    Самонадеянный has nothing to do with this, of course. There is a big variety of expressions meaning "crossing the line", the choice depending on the style and context, for example:
    1. Polite variant: Это выходит за рамки / переходит границы (разумного).
    Colloquial: Не наглей.
    2, 3. Вышла за границы дозволенного / рамки приличия.

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    Presumptuous should rather be translated into Russian as "нахальный" or "дерзкий" if we speak about a person who crossed the line.

Crossing the line - переступить черту, выйти за рамки приличия,

1. "That's crossing the line!"
    Ты переступила черту / Это выходит за рамки приличия.

2. Katerina Witt crossed the line
    Катарина Витт переступила черту/вышла за рамки приличия

3. which the judges deemed crossing the line.
    которое (представление) показалось судьям вышедшим за рамки приличия.

esperansa

Russian
    What, then, does самонаденный mean? I merely looked it up in my dictionary.
    I searched for "presumptuous" in my bilingual dictionaries. Some of them have the entry "самонадеянный" for the word "presumptuous". But it is not correct if we rely on English dictionaries.

The word "cамонадеянный" means that someone is overconfident, i.e. чрезмерно уверенный в своих силах, зачастую (но не всегда) игнорирующий опыт, предупреждения или советы других людей.

Last edited:

Vadim K

Russian - Russia
    What, then, does самонаденный mean? I merely looked it up in my dictionary.
    Well, I have looked up the word presumptous in my Longman dictionary of contemporary English and now I have changed my mind about this word a little bit. In accordance with the dictionary presumptous means "showing disrespect as a result of being too confident". I do not think that we have a colloquial adjective in Russian with the same meaning. Generally we think in Russia that showing disrespect results from bad manner of the person or from his/her negative thinking about the other person rather than as a result of anything else including of being too confident. Yes, самонадеянный means too confident, without a doubt, but this adjective does not necessarily carry such a negative connotation as "showing disrespect to anyone".

For the moment the only word in Russian that comes to my mind and that describes a person who shows disrespect as a result of being too confident is the noun "нонконформист". And his/her behaivor is called "нонконформистское поведение". And such kind of behaivor is exactly "showing disrespect as a result of being too confident". But this word in Russa is used mainly in sociology rather than in everyday speech. The adjective that derived from this noun is "нонкорформистский" but it is rarely used anywhere in Russia.

Last edited:

Sobakus

A good colloquial option that can be used in all your examples is перегиба́ть па́лку, although its primary meaning is "to be too extreme with smth."

< Previous | Next >