crush from or on

April410

Chinese
If I want to say "we are hard pressed on every sides", and instead of using "hard pressed" I use "crushed", should I say "crushed from very sides" or "crushed on every sides"?

Thank you!

• sdgraham

USA English
    Please tell us what you are trying to say in a sentence that expresses a complete thought and the context where you are saying it.:)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, April1410. :)

People will be able to help you if you tell about the situation you want to describe. What is happening? Who or what is crushing you? (That is the kind of information we refer to as 'context'. )

April410

Chinese
    Hello, thank you for willing to help me.
    the whole sentence is "we are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed;perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed", I think this sentence is from Bible.
    I was just wondered if I can use crush instead of hard pressed, should I use "crush from every side" or "crush on every side"?
    :)

Soleil_Couchant

English - US
    Yeah, Myridon is right. The point is saying, in spite of being pressed upon from all sides, they are not being crushed. It gives the sense of standing up and persevering in spite of many obstacles and factors working against you.

This site shows many different Bible translations of this phrase: http://biblehub.com/2_corinthians/4-8.htm

But to answer your question, if I WAS getting crushed, it would be "from" ;) (I'm getting crushed from all angles, sides, etc.) You can also get crushed "by" something. Having "a crush on" someone means you are romantically interested. Otherwise, we don't usually use "crush" and "on" together.

london calling

UK English
    Corinthians 4:8-9.

Interesting. This is from the NIV (New International Version of the Bible (here: biblegateway.com). This is the King James version:

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
    9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

I agree with the others. 'Hard-pressed' does not mean 'crushed'. Others are causing them problems, they are troubling them, but this is not enough to cause distress or crush them.

Last edited:

April410

Chinese
    Thank you for all your help! Because in Chinese these two words (hard pressed, crush) can be replace each other, it is really fun to see the difference between these two languages :)

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you for all your help! Because in Chinese these two words (hard pressed, crush) can be replace each other, it is really fun to see the difference between these two languages :)
    But are you aware that you've been talking about those words as metaphors.:confused:

As literal words they are much closer than metaphorically.

Soleil_Couchant

English - US
    Right...the key thing here in this Bible verse is that they're listing two different things. Even though they are having Thing 1 happening to them (being hard pressed, afflicted, etc), they will not have Thing 2 happen to them (being crushed, destroyed, etc).

It's like saying, you can kick me but I won't fall down! You can try to discourage me, but I won't give up! That kind of thing.

So that's why, in this context, you can't use the same word for both Thing 1 and Thing 2, as pointed out by Myridon.

< Previous | Next >