Crush you like a cab! [Omission of the subject]

gabriel001234

Portuguese
A character in a fighting games says "Pick! Smash! Crush you like a cab!" when he attacks. Those sentences are informal, right? I couldn't seem to find something about the omission of subjects on the Internet.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In some contexts, yes the subject (and more) can be omitted - especilly when it is clear : in your example I would assume it is "I'm going to ..." before those words. But video games might be even more informal! (In a fighting game - not games)

gabriel001234

Portuguese
    In some contexts, yes the subject (and more) can be omitted - especilly when it is clear : in your example I would assume it is "I'm going to ..." before those words. But video games might be even more informal! (In a fighting game - not games)
    So those are very informal, right? The character's grammar very is bad in that game. He just likes cars. He even has a big one. Edit: He also omits pronouns very often.

Last edited:

gabriel001234

Portuguese
    But what would Crush you like a cab mean?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I know that the character really likes cars. Does that give you an idea of what he tried to say?
    I think we both understand the meaning of the words but there are only two possibilities I can see (for the word "like")- either cabs in the game are easy to crush or they are good at crushing. You may be able to distinguish.

gabriel001234

Portuguese
    I think we both understand the meaning of the words but there are only two possibilities I can see (for the word "like")- either cabs in the game are easy to crush or they are good at crushing. You may be able to distinguish.
    I don't think I'm able to distinguish. There are no cabs in the game.

< Previous | Next >