crush

altita

Mexico/ English
Can crush mean the same thing as ace?

For example, a boy is going to meet his girlfriend's parents, obviously they both want the parents to like him, and he says:

I'm going to crush the dinner with your parents.

• jpsl90

English- USA
    Sort of. In this context, the meaning is to do really well (same as ace), but I wouldn't use ace in the same sentence. Another way to say crush in this context is actually "kill."

"How'd the job interview go?"
    "I crushed it!" or "I killed it!" ... I would not necessarily say "I aced it."

I really only hear ace when referring to tests or classes in school.
    "I aced biology"

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've never heard this use of "crush"; indeed the only slang use of "crush" as a verb at Urban Dictionary is defeat, as in a team sport (team X crushed team Y).

Around here, for an individual to triumph in a test or any kind of individual challenge) is to ace it—and the answer to "How'd the job interview go?" might well be "I aced it!"

Last edited:

jpsl90

English- USA
    Maybe it's an age thing since it looks like we're from the same region?

I would never say "I am going to ace dinner dinner with your parents," but I would say "I am going to crush the dinner".

I'm not sure I love Urban Dictionary as a credible source but if we must...

crushed it
    Being in great shape, looking good, feeling positive, getting more done and generally being a better person.
    Brad B: Hey Dave, how'd your day shape up?
    Dave: I totally crushed it.

crushin' it
    To excel beyond all foreseen abilities. To wildly surpass any goal or expectation.

Myridon

English - US
    To excel beyond all foreseen abilities. To wildly surpass any goal or expectation.
    Looking from another angle, this is roughly the same as "To totally defeat any obstacles or difficulties." It's not a far jump from the "defeat" meaning to the "win/succeed" meaning.

sdgraham

USA English
    Can crush mean the same thing as ace?

For example, a boy is going to meet his girlfriend's parents, obviously they both want the parents to like him, and he says:

I'm going to crush the dinner with your parents.
    This has no meaning in standard English. When you start dealing with regional or often short-lived slang, anything might occur.

As with Parla's comment, I've never encountered it, either.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Sorry to butt in. This thread interests me a lot. And I think Parla is right because even though I am not a native speaker of English, I have many friends from English-speaking countries, and I've never heard the word used in this way. Besides, I have around 20,000 words and phrases in my mind, including this one, crush.

Oh, I still have a question, what does this mean?

"How'd the job interview go?"
    "I crushed it!" or "I killed it!"
    Since the answer is past tense, and the question should also be past tense. Like "How did the job interview go"? Am I right?

< Previous | Next >