cuánto es + cuánto está

jessiemsy

United States/English
in the context of how much does something cost. i've always said/heard cuanto es but my friend swears it cuanto esta
ej. cuanto es esta chaqueta? v cuanto esta esta chaqueta? (excuse the lack of accents, but you get what i mean)

• luis

Chile, spanish
    Creo que puede ser: "¿a cuánto está ésta/esa chaqueta? o ¿Cuánto vale o pide por ésta/esa chaqueta?
    Espero te sirva..
    La primera observación es muy usada acá en mi país (ovbiamente no por gente muy letrada, pero se entiende que es ¿Cuáanto vale?
    Saludos

sabris

Honduras--Spanish
    jessiemsy said:
    in the context of how much does something cost. i've always said/heard cuanto es but my friend swears it cuanto esta
    ej. cuanto es esta chaqueta? v cuanto esta esta chaqueta? (excuse the lack of accents, but you get what i mean)
    When you ask "cuánto es?" you are basically asking how much the total is. But if you want to ask the price for something specific, the correct way to say it would be "¿cuanto cuesta esta chaqueta? or ¿Qué precio tiene esta chaqueta?"
    However, I have heard some people ask "¿A cuanto está esta chaqueta?" which is a more informal way.
    I would recommend to use "¿Cuánto cuesta esta chaqueta?

I hope this helps you...

Residente Calle 13

New York City
    En Santo Domingo :

¿A como están los pasajes?

(the price fluctuates)

¿Cuánto vale un sello?

(the prices is more or less stable)

¿A cómo son los helados?

(more a less a fixed price)

jessiemsy

United States/English
    lazarus no entiendo que significas, que quiere decier con eso? a que palabra/frase refiere?

lazarus1907

Spanish, Spain
    jessiemsy said:
    En España:

¿A cuánto está el kilo de pollo? (never heard it for jackets; normally when you buy things according to their weight or size)
    ¿Cuánto es la chaqueta? (informal, but frequent)
    ¿Cuánto cuesta la chaqueta? (standard)
    ¿Cuánto es?
    ¿Cuánto está la chaqueta? :cross: (unheard of in Spain)

I hope I didn't forget any common expression.

SpiceMan

Castellano, Argentina
    In Argentina:
    ¿Cuánto sale/cuesta un pollo? (asking in general, doesn't make sense to ask this at the poultry store [?], since it depends on the weight)
    ¿Cuánto es? (fixed phrase. To ask how much is the total price at the counter to clerk, before paying. Not asking about an specific good. No one asks the price with "es" here.)
    ¿Cuánto sale/cuesta/está el pollo? Asking more specifically (ie: adressing the clerk at the store), but can also mean that you know the price may have varied (since we're used to suffer devaluation of our currency :p) So you're actually asking how much does it cost now. For instance, asked after someone said he/she had chicken for dinner, and you want to know the price.
    ¿Cuánto estaba el pollo? it can mean: a) you're asking about some chicken you bought previously and forgot its price. b) You're asking because it's related to something in the past: person a: I went to the grocery store in Japan and it was really expensive - Person B: ¿Cuánto estaba el pollo? (ie: how much it was back then)
    ¿A Cuánto está el pollo? (you're omiting "el kilo de", very common. It means pretty much what Lazarus said before)

< Previous | Next >