cubanía,cubanidad

cmdx

Spanish
Por casualidad alguien a visto la traducción de alguna de estas palabras? si es así por favor que me haga llegar la respuesta, gracias por adelantado

• Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    Por casualidad alguien a visto la traducción de alguna de estas palabras? si es así por favor que me haga llegar la respuesta, gracias por adelantado
    No la he visto, pero sí he visto alguna vez Englishness, así que ¿por qué no "Cubanness"? A mí me gusta.

cmdx

Spanish
    Does the word Englishness exist? It is the first time I see it, believe me. Let´s wait until someone else answers but I think the same thing is not possible for the Cuban case. Thanks a lot for your suggestion..:)

cmdx

Spanish
    Wow, it really surprises me to see these two words, I would have never imagined they could be built, thanks a lot, now I see once again that you learn something new everyday....:)

Fundora2009

Spanish and English
    Englishness does exist, well accepted word, but I've never seen this Cubaness word before

Cubaness does not exist in Spanish, I'm Cuban and if you want to translate Cubanía into English the word is Cuban identity

The resonance of his voice and guitar work takes on Afro-Cuban rhythms. His melodies are lyrical with jazz influences. His poetry, colloquially uninhibited due to its exquisite Cuban identity. He has worked with Ketama on their recordings and tours.

me parece que así se ve mejor y suena mejor. Esa palabra Cubaness, para mi es un disparate, en inglés eso no existe. Espero que le sirva de algo, saludos!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kotuku33

French & English, Alberta, Canada
    "Cubanness" (with two n's) no es una palabra que todo el mundo utilisaría. It's not the type of word people use in casual language or popular writing. "Cuban identity" is just fine in those contexts. But actually "Cuban identity" and "Cubanness" don't mean quite the same thing. If you're writing for an academic (scholarly) audience you might very well use "Cubanness" in particular contexts. If you Google that word you'll find quite a few hits.

In the example above about the musician I don't think "Cuban identity" works quite as well as "Cubanness". The original seems more natural, more exact to me.

Jorge1960

Spanish
    I think the connotation of the word "cubanía" is not fully conveyed by "cubanness". And I join the idea that Cuban identity is not exactly what "cubanía"means. Cuban identity renders a broader sense, it involves a more comprehensive concept. I consider it better to use the original word "cubanía¨.

< Previous | Next >