cue whoops of joy

< Previous | Next >

martapaulina

Polish, Poland
Hello,
what part of speech is the word "cue" in this sentence? And what does the expression exactly mean? I know you can use the phrase to talk about emotions excited by a certain action, as in "cue whoops of joy" or "cue floods of tears," for example, but I really need a more detailed explanation.

• martapaulina

Polish, Poland
    It's from an article in The Guardian about a scientific study comparing the efficiency of dishwashers vis-a-vis handwashing. The 2004 tests showed that "if used correctly, machines are far better." The next sentence reads: ""Cue whoops of joy in kitchens lucky enough to have a dishwasher."

foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    martapaulina said:
    Hello, what part of speech is the word "cue" in this sentence? And what does the expression exactly mean?
    It's a verb, imperative mood. It's not so much a stage direction (written) as a movie-set or TV-studio prompt.

Imagine it spoken by a guy in the control booth, into the microphone of his headset. "Cue camera two, come in close."

The cameraman on camera #2 picks up the cue on his headset, and executes the move. Then a simple "camera two" cue is given to the man at the control panel, to switch to the feed coming from camera two.

"Cue whoops of joy" would be a sound-effects prompt, or an audience-reaction prompt to the guy who lights up the "applause" sign.

Used in narrative or conversation, the reference to a "cue" means that there's something artificial or phony being implied. This is where context would provide make further explanation possible. Is this someone describing, for example, a political speech?

Edit:
    I just read your post. The speaker is talking figuratively about what the commercial for the dishwashers might sound like. He's a little tongue-in-cheek, because he's doing a journalistic piece and not trying to "sell" the dishwashers, so he feels self-conscious about seeming to do so, or saying something about how they "work perfectly."

< Previous | Next >