cultura di accoglienza

Brownpaperbag

Dutch (Netherlands)
Hello Everybody,

Could anyone help me with the translation of the following sentence:

Informazione e sensibilizzazione alla cultura di accoglienza.

Context is 'Immigrants in Italy'.

I was thinking of 'target culture' but I'm not too sure.

Thanks in advance,

BpB

• arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    Hi and welcome!
    I guess something like "politics of inclusion" (or "inclusive policy") should work here... Better wait for the natives anyway!

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    I think "Immigrant receptivity culture/attitude"

Try googling it and see what you get.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Hello and welcome!:)

Well, apparently "culture of welcome" exists in English (although I don't think it's very common) and if you have a look at what I found on Google, it's often related to religion.

However, I think it would be perfectly understandable in your context (just my opinion, of course!;)).

arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    I'm not too sure about that, I'm looking for the opposite of 'culture of origin'...
    That's exactly the meaning of the sentence... ;)

"Informazione e sensibilizzazione alla cultura di accoglienza" = a campaign to make citizens sensitive and aware of immigrants' different cultures.
    So it's something like "Informing and making sensitive (citizens) for a true inclusive policy (towards immigrants)".
    At least that's what it seems to me :)

Brownpaperbag

Dutch (Netherlands)
    Thanks a lot for your availability everyone. I tried googling Immigrant receptivity culture/attitude but I couldn't find much (just the link to this forum ;) ). Culture of welcome is in fact a bit too religious.
    Arthur, it's the immigrants who are supposed to become aware of the the different culture they are living in.

I think I'll stick to target culture.

arthurlee

Italian - Italy
    Arthur, it's the immigrants who are supposed to become aware of the the different culture they are living in.
    That's fine, you know the context ;)

Then, however, the sentence is misleading: I would rather say "cultura di integrazione", as "cultura di accoglienza" means exactly the opposite - at least in usual political and media discourse.
    E.g.: if you come to my country, it's ME the one that "accoglie" you... on the other hand, it's YOU that can/should "integrarsi" with my culture [this is not necessarily my viewpoint, it's just an example ;)].
    Bye!

Ok, by "cultura d'accoglienza" you mean "cultura d'arrivo" (the way in translations there is a "source text" and a "target text"), now I get it. Still, I don't think it's a good Italian.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    Arthur, it's the immigrants who are supposed to become aware of the the different culture they are living in. They are helped in this by people known as "Cultural mediators" in English.
    I agree with Arthur, I must say. :) I also thought it meant that the Italians have to be "educated";) in such a way as to make them open the doors to immigrants, i.e. learn to welcome them. I would never have thought it meant the complete opposite (cultural integration).

I'm not at all sure about target culture....if you check it out on Google, it's not what you mean, as far as I can see.

GavinW

British English
    This gives you lots of information
    Wow, you're right... It looks like the word "receptivity" is pretty fixed in AE (my guess is that it's less established in BE). So "culture of receptivity" would seem to work fine as a translation.
    By the way, I think we should beware of misinterpreting the word "culture" here: from the context, it is pretty clear we're talking about an ethos, climate, set of principles etc gthat is adopted by people in a given society. We're not talking about the society (or social group) itself (which would be the meaning of "culture" in the phrases "culture of origin" and "receiving culture").

Last edited:

Brownpaperbag

Dutch (Netherlands)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Gavin. Unfortunately, the translation is for Europeans and I noticed Google has only 2 hits for culture of receptivity. I also think 'receptivity' is too passive, i.e. it means' willing to accept...'. Furthermore, even when 'searching the web' using culture of receptivity and the term 'immigrants' nothing relevant comes up.

I do agree however that we are talking about society rather than about culture.. maybe social environment of the receiving country would be a better solution?

Grazie di nuovo :)

BpB

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >