curious or odd

Mei

Catalonia Catalan & Spanish
Hi, all there!

Once I was talking with an American girl and when I said something like "It's curious", she said that they say "it's odd". I'm confused because I've seen that she uses "curious" as well... I can use the one I like or not always? :confused:

Thank you in advance!

Mei

Last edited by a moderator:
  • marinax

español (Argentina)
    "To be curious", is a common use of that word (someone being a curious person).
    Odd, for something that doesn't happen often or has no immediate explanation, is more common for the expression you look.

E-J

England, English
    Hola, Mei,

"Curious" as a synonym for odd/strange/weird may sound slightly old-fashioned to some ears, at least where I come from. I'd say "It's odd" is more natural in everyday conversation.

"It's strange" and "It's weird" are other common options.

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    My understanding is that they are almost sinonimous. For me "odd" is something quite different from the average. "curious" is more like funny...,well, I think I'm not explaining myself very well... :eek:

Mei

Jajaja, thanks Roi!

We're catalans and we talk in English, it's odd, don't you think?

Is this correct? Would you use "odd" in this context?

Thanks.

Mei

fenixpollo

American English
    I think it's a BE/AE difference. In AE, "curious" is not used as often to mean "strange, wierd, odd"... usually by people who are elegant, formal or pompous. It's more common to hear Alice in Wonderland or another Brit use "curious" in this way (although "curiouser" is not a word ;) ).

Saludos.

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    fenixpollo said:
    I think it's a BE/AE difference. In AE, "curious" is not used as often to mean "strange, wierd, odd"... usually by people who are elegant, formal or pompous. It's more common to hear Alice in Wonderland or another Brit use "curious" in this way (although "curiouser" is not a word ;) ).

Saludos.
    yep, I think we-Romance-language speakers use "curious" a lot i/o "odd" . As a matter of fact, few people use "funny" meaning "curious". Mostly we understand "funny" as something amusing..and I believe that it could be something just curious, right?
    Anyway, I think I know how it works but I'd better tell to my friend Mei by PM in our own language. ;)

Mei

Roi Marphille said:
    yep, I think we-Romance-language speakers use "curious" a lot i/o "odd" . As a matter of fact, few people use "funny" meaning "curious". Mostly we understand "funny" as something amusing..and I believe that it could be something just curious, right?
    Anyway, I think I know how it works but I'd better tell to my friend Mei by PM in our own language. ;)
    That would be great, thank you!

Well,... thank you all!!! :p

Terry Mount

U S A
    Around here* we do say "This is very curious." "This is certainly very curious!" (meaning odd, unusual, strange).

*here = NC, USA

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    well,
    another contribution. I'm a big fun of this site with real odd news. It's called oddly enough. I even bought one of their books. It's great. Yeah, it could have been called curious enough...mm..but it wouldn't be the same..would it?..I don't know how to explain it.

Mei

Roi Marphille said:
    well,
    another contribution. I'm a big fun of this site with real odd news. It's called oddly enough. I even bought one of their books. It's great. Yeah, it could have been called curious enough...mm..but it wouldn't be the same..would it?..I don't know how to explain it.
    Maybe it's because something "odd" it's fun and if it's "curious" is not necessary fun?

mora

Canada, English
    hola

Perhaps I am elegant, perhaps formal and pompous, but I use 'curious' more often than 'odd', but consider them interchangable in this context.

mora

Ratona

UK - Eng
    I would say that curious is something that intrigues you, and you´d like to know more about it. Odd is something unusual or peculiar
    Does that make sense?

Mei

Ratona said:
    I would say that curious is something that intrigues you, and you´d like to know more about it. Odd is something unusual or peculiar
    Does that make sense?
    Yes... if you're walking down the street and you see a famous singer that would be unusual or perculiar, but if you see a cow flying that would be odd, am I right? :confused:

Roi Marphille

Catalonia, Catalan.
    Mei said:
    Yes... if you're walking down the street and you see a famous singer that would be unusual or perculiar, but if you see a cow flying that would be odd, am I right? :confused:
    yeah, seeing a flying cow it would be quite odd. :D it would not be curious, you know, you can't say like: "wow, there is a flying cow over there! it's curious". Anyway, if I'd see a flying cow, I'd start worrying about my health. ;)

btw, for me Ratona was great in her explanation. :thumbsup:

Mei

Roi Marphille said:
    yeah, seeing a flying cow it would be quite odd. :D it would not be curious, you know, you can't say like: "wow, there is a flying cow over there! it's curious". Anyway, if I'd see a flying cow, I'd start worrying about my health. ;)
    Yes it's true, but you know that if "La Vanguardia" says that the cows fly, it's true, so be careful my friend!!

And thank you all guys! I have it clear now! ;)

Cheers

Mei

Ratona

UK - Eng
    Just to confuse you, or maybe help a bit more (hopefully the latter!)
    You could say: that´s curious, there´s a flying cow over there, I wonder if it's been eating GM crops!! (ie. you're not just stating that it's a strange or unusual event, but you wonder what the cause of it is!)

Looks like you've got the hang of it though Mei! ¡felicidades!

Mei

Ratona said:
    Just to confuse you, or maybe help a bit more (hopefully the latter!)
    You could say: that´s curious, there´s a flying cow over there, I wonder if it's been eating GM crops!! (ie. you're not just stating that it's a strange or unusual event, but you wonder what the cause of it is!)

Looks like you've got the hang of it though Mei! ¡felicidades!
    Yes and I must thank you to all of you! :D

Cheers

< Previous | Next >