currency basis of the salary

rdoming

Venezuela
¿Les parece que está bien la redacción de esta oración?

I prefer to establish the dollar as the currency basis of the salary in the Labor Agreement

Saludos y gracias

:)

• ruru2006

spanish
    Let's turn it around and see if there's a difference
    The currency basis for the salary is the dollar
    The currency basis of the salary is the dollar
    The salary's currency basis is the dollar

It looks to me that of the salary is the one -- I'm not saying that for the salary is wrong though.

rdoming

Venezuela
    Great comments fellows, very constructive. Thanks

I've got another question. How could I say that in a more informal way? I mean, not too informal but well enough.

by the way, Daniel, what is 'tis? Is it an abbreviation for "it is"?

greetings

frida-nc

English USA
    Yes, 'tis is "it is," a humorous echo of eighteenth-century speech.

My questions were not about the correctness, but the implications of the language. What didn't fit, for me, was the "I" in what I assumed was a formal document or letter to the recipient of the salary. If the decision has been made, and the writer has the power to decree what currency the salary will be paid in, is he inviting disagreement by implying that the decision is only his "preference?" If it is still to be decided, and the recipient may make a counter-proposal, then why not say that?

So, assuming it has been decided, an American letter would simply say, The salary will be paid in [US?] dollars. (This is probably a matter beyond translation per se, and if so, sorry to intrude it!)

rdoming

Venezuela
    Fine, Frida, I've got it!

As you said, that is a preference in a negotiation which decision has not been taken yet

As we custom to say in Venezuela...

Un millón (an informal way to say "thanks a lot")

frida-nc

English USA
    Hi again rdoming,

A family member pointed out to me that "on the basis of a currency" is not the same as "in a currency." (I don't want to mislead you!)

So, if the Labor Agreement has not been drawn up yet, and this is a negotiation, then let your main idea stand. (If "I" represents a company, you might replace the pronoun with the words "The Company," or "We.")

In the Labor Agreement, the Company prefers to establish the dollar as the currency basis of the salary.

< Previous | Next >