Curse you quadratic formula and synthetic division!

Cheesee = Madness

Canadian English
Curse you quadratic formula and synthetic division!

I wrote this on the margins of a test to express my dislike of the quadratic formula, and synthetic division.. It seems wrong to me but I cannot pin down why. I thought about it and added a comma "Curse you, quadratic formula and synthetic division!" but it still seems wrong to me. Would anyone else say it this way?

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    Comma for direct address, I think. Quadratic formula and synthetic division, a pox upon both your houses! Seems fine, probably just that cursing abstract concepts is weird.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    What bothers me is the singular "quadratic formula". Is it only this one example that troubles you, or is it the whole clan of such mathematical monsters? If it is the general run of them, then it should be "quadratic formulae" or "quadratic formulas".

Cheesee = Madness

Canadian English
    What bothers me is the singular "quadratic formula". Is it only this one example that troubles you, or is it the whole clan of such mathematical monsters? If it is the general run of them, then it should be "quadratic formulae" or "quadratic formulas".
    There is one Quadratic formula (That I know about) -b... but there could be more. Its not one specific question that bothers me but the quadratic formula in general and its uses.

< Previous | Next >