1. Olga Usoz Chaparro

Olga Usoz Chaparro Senior Member

Granada
    "Spanish-Spain"
    I am translating Pariah by Bob Fingerman, but I am having problems translating curved tile.
    Please, can anyone help me?

With some difficulty Abe took a seat on that wall, the top of which was capped with curved tile. “I can’t sit on the floor like that. I’d never get up again.”
    My attempt:
    Con cierta dificultad, Abe se sentó sobre el mismo muro, cuya parte superior estaba cubierta de azulejo romano—. No puedo sentarme en el suelo como tú, no podría volver a levantarme.

2. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
  3. Olga Usoz Chaparro

Granada
    "Spanish-Spain"
    Muchas gracias!

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

"Tejas" are roof tiles. They would be a strange choice for a wall (including the wall of a roof) and not comfortable to sit on, either, not to mention extremely atypical in New York.

5. Filis Cañí Banned

The hills
    Triana, caló
    The only walls I've ever seen capped with tiles were Chinese or Japanese, and the tiles were oriental-style roof tiles. Maybe those would not be so atypical in New York?

6. Olga Usoz Chaparro

Granada
    "Spanish-Spain"
    Entonces baldosas curvas?

7. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

It's kind of a strange detail for the author to have included. Do these rooftop walls come into play later on?

8. Olga Usoz Chaparro

Granada
    "Spanish-Spain"
    Well, not really. Sometimes, one of the character crosses them to fish some zombies.

9. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Then I guess that detail was supposed to make it sound like the wall would be a comfortable place for the old man to sit, or else he was just describing a common feature of the roof walls of New York apartment buildings.