Customer service

< Previous | Next >

borhane

Algerian Arabic
hi all
when I was revising my English cources " the Customer service " i found the following expression and which i am wondring about its meaning
" They usually have two tellers in my local bank.Except when it's very busy, when they have one."
i want to know if it means that they have one teller when it isnt busy or the contrary ?
thank you in advance

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    borhane said:
    hi all
    when When I was revising my English cources course, " the Customer service, " i I found the following expression. and which i I am wondring wondering about its meaning.
    " They usually have two tellers in my local bank. Except when it's very busy, when they have one."
    i I want to know if it means that they have one teller when it isnt isn't busy or the contrary ?
    thank Thank you in advance
    Literally, it means that they only have one teller when it is very busy.

This sounds like a very strange thing to say, but in a broader context it could make sense.

The writer could be deliberately saying it this way to make the point that the staffing in the bank is not very well organised. For example, perhaps they arrange for the tellers to take a break at lunchtime - so that there are two of them all morning and all afternoon, but only one at lunchtime, when everyone comes into the bank to do business:)

shamblesuk

England, English
    There could be two reasons:

1. 'Sarcasm' - it's generally acknolwedged that bank staff go to lunch when everyone else does and when everyone goes to the bank over the lunch period it is busier.
    2. Many banks offer a 'meet and greet' service whereby cashiers (tellers) move to the public office to help with queries leaving less people on the till.

Some bank managers force staff to take their lunch 11-12 or 2-3 to alleviate pressure over the lunch period.

I like the sarcastic version (working in a bank myself!)

borhane

Algerian Arabic
    Thank you all , but I believe that it means that when the bank is very busy , they reduce the number of tellers in order to hinder the circulation of currency

AWhiteFlame

American English; United States of America
    It could be sarcasm, but then again, if it's bad english, it could be trying to say "They usually have two tellers in my local bank. Except Because when it's very busy, when they have one. when they have one, it gets very busy."

< Previous | Next >