cut back a bit on red meats

Michael_cycle

India - Hindi
I did eliminate egg yolks and cut back a bit on red meats. But I still enjoy eating out.

Please explain the highlighted ones.

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    To "cut back" means to reduce one's consumption of something. To "cut back a bit" means to make only a slight reduction.

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    I did eliminate egg yolks and cut back a bit on red meats. But I still enjoy eating out.

Please explain the highlighted ones.

Jack: You need to cut back on smoking, or you will die of cancer.
    John: I am not going to cut back on anything. Eat, drink and be merry, that's my motto.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Jack: You need to cut back on smoking, or you will die of cancer.
    Surely in this case 'cutting back' is not enough - giving up is the only way to avoid cancer. As people know that giving up the right thing to do, might that sentence not give them the impression that 'cut back' means 'give up'?

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    I don't think that most people feel that one cigarette here or there is going to kill them from cancer. There are many degrees of cutting back. What you are talking about is quitting. I was referring to cutting back.

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    To further complicate this for non-English speaking people, you can add the words "way" or "a little bit", etc.

Cindy: I am cutting way back on how much time I spend at the pool.
    Mary: Me, too. Until they cut back a little bit on how much chlorine they put in the pool, I won't be there much.

< Previous | Next >