cut him some slack

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi there, does the use of "cut slack" sound okay to you in my scenario in which a vigilante promised to avenge a girl's raper, but now somehow they had the police attention on them:
Girl: This has to be done, you know it!
Vigilante: Yes, we'll kill him, as I promised you that. But you see the things aren't going the way we planned. I'm afraid we have to cut him some slack, for now.
This sounds fine to me, yet not very sure.

• kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thanks, yes, I did search and it somehow sounds okay, probably affected by my first langauge. sorry about that.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    I am sorry but "cut him some slack" isn't being used correctly here. It means "to refrain from judging him as severely as you might otherwise because he's going through something difficult right now." But that's not what the girl and the vigilante are talking about doing. All they are doing is putting off killing him - they are judging him just as harshly as they have all along.

If person A kills another person B in an accident that person A got into because he was rushing his sick child to the hospital, we might "cut him some slack." But if we consider someone so evil that we are planning to kill him, we are not "cutting him some slack."

(Cross-posted with Andy)

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    As others have said, this is not "cutting someone (some) slack".

I believe a few terms you may be looking for are:
    ".....we have to lay low for now."
    ".....
    we have to forget about that for now."
    ".....we have to forget about him for now."

Also,
    Vigilante: Yes, we'll kill him, as I promised you that. But you see, the things aren't going the way we planned. I'm afraid we have to cut him some slack, for now.
    And a bit "cleaner" way might be to say:
    Vigilante: Yes, we'll kill him, I promise you. But you see, things aren't going as planned. I'm afraid we ........

Andygc

British English
    Thanks, yes, I did search and it somehow sounds okay, probably affected by my first langauge. sorry about that.
    No problem - it's always worth mentioning that you have searched and that you are using the phrase on the basis of your understanding of previous threads. We're happy to help you correct your understanding. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >