cut into reliable cash flows

Wookie

Korea, Korean
It also sows a corrosive distrust of democracy and hinders reconciliation as entrenched groups in the Shiite-led government resist reforms that would cut into reliable cash flows. (source)

What does "cut into" mean here?

• Londres

English/England
    I would say "cut into" in this context would mean to diminish cash flow. Less money would be realised.
    It also sows a corrosive distrust of democracy and hinders reconciliation as entrenched groups in the Shiite-led government resist reforms that would cut into reliable cash flows. (source)

What does "cut into" mean here?

Matching Mole

England, English
    "Cut into" is often used in respect to finances, budgets, etc. It broadly means to reduce, or divert to another purpose. I think in your sentence it means take away supply. It can also be used for time:

"Holiday trips cut into school time." [Headline] (Time that should be spent at school is being spent on holiday trips.)

Wookie

Korea, Korean
    The collective filching undermines Iraq’s ability to provide essential services, a key to sustaining recent security gains, according to American military commanders. It also sows a corrosive distrust of democracy and hinders reconciliation as entrenched groups in the Shiite-led government resist reforms that would cut into reliable cash flows.

Does that mean "because entrenched groups resist reforms that would disrupt reliable cash flows, the collective filching sows a corrosive distrust of democracy"?
    I have trouble understanding what the sentence underlined means.

Wookie

Korea, Korean

I have difficulty in understanding the phrase underlined.
    I think reforms that would cut into reliable cash flows are not good in terms of economics. So resisting the reforms means something good.
    Then why does it sow a corrosive distrust of democracy and hinder reconciliation?
    Could somebody explain this example to me?

< Previous | Next >