Cut me some slack / Give me some credit

beeonthetree

Russian
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out the difference between these two phrases - Cut me some slack / Give me some credit. That'd be great if you could help me out 🙂

Example dialogues:

- Tom's late again.
- Cut him some slack. He just got divorced.
Can I say 'Give him some credit' instead of 'Cut him some slack.'?

- The Kardashians have no talent.
- You should give them some credit. They are really good at making money.
Can I say 'Cut them some slack' instead?

When do you use 'Give me some credit'? I can't seem to find a proper explanation.

Thank you 😊

• The Newt

English - US
    I would not exchange the expressions in those two examples. "Credit" has to do with belief or worthiness, not with behavior.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Cut him some slack" means don't be as hard on him as you might usually be when he is doing something seemingly bad. In normal times you might be harsh with him for being late. But because of his emotional troubles, you are going to refrain from criticizing him too much. Often it refers to a temporary situation, like this one. After a period of time you probably will not not cut him any more slack.

Giving someone credit means recognizing someone's accomplishments or character traits. It has nothing to do with being nicer than normal to them.

You might give someone credit for doing a job well or by recognizing that they have a good character trait.

I give him credit for not losing his temper when he was talking to that obnoxious customer. I probably would have lost my temper.

You didn't actually give him anything but your opinion of him is good.

"Give me some credit" is used in a very specific situation.

Person A: Is it really true that you broke up with your girlfriend by sending her a text message? That's what someone told me.

Person B: Give me some credit. Of course I didn't do that. We talked in person and decided it was best to break up.

Person B is saying "You should know (without me telling you) that I wouldn't do something like that."

beeonthetree

Russian
    "Cut him some slack" means don't be as hard on him as you might usually be when he is doing something seemingly bad. In normal times you might be harsh with him for being late. But because of his emotional troubles, you are going to refrain from criticizing him too much. Often it refers to a temporary situation, like this one. After a period of time you probably will not not cut him any more slack.

Giving someone credit means recognizing someone's accomplishments or character traits. It has nothing to do with being nicer than normal to them.

You might give someone credit for doing a job well or by recognizing that they have a good character trait.

I give him credit for not losing his temper when he was talking to that obnoxious customer. I probably would have lost my temper.

You didn't actually give him anything but your opinion of him is good.

"Give me some credit" is used in a very specific situation.

Person A: Is it really true that you broke up with your girlfriend by sending her a text message? That's what someone told me.

Person B: Give me some credit. Of course I didn't do that. We talked in person and decided it was best to break up.

Person B is saying "You should know (without me telling you) that I wouldn't do something like that."
    Thank you so much for such a thorough explanation! 👍 I finally got it 🙂

< Previous | Next >