cut of silage

< Previous | Next >

MmePitchounette

Français, Canada
Hi!
I don't know how to translate the following in French:
"The first cut of silage has been done in parts of the province and the majority of crop is in."

My try: "La première tranchée de silage a été faite dans certaines parties la province et la majorité de la culture y est plantée"??????????

Doesn't sound very good.... please help!

Thanks

• giga2294

Français / France - Brittany
    Les premiers labours ont été faits / Les premiers sillons ont été labourés dans certaines parties de la province et la majorité de la culture y est plantée.

To be confirmed.

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    I'm not a farmer, which may explain my question. In English (UK), my initial understanding of "the crop is in" would be that it has been harvested, not planted (i.e. it has been gathered in). So I originally read this sentence as referring to a crop of grass (or whatever) that will become silage - the first cut has been made and the majority of it gathered in. But I imagine from your use of "plantée" that your "crop" refers to seed which will be harvested sometime in the future, and "in" means in the ground/sown.

I hope it helps to clarify this and that I'm not the only person who finds the sentence ambiguous in English! :)

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    Les premiers labours ont été faits / Les premiers sillons ont été labourés dans certaines parties de la province et la majorité de la culture y est plantée.

To be confirmed.
    Je crois que "sillons" sont "furrows", pas "silage" qui soit "ensilage" en français.

< Previous | Next >