Cut somebody a hunk from a hash brick

coolfool

Chinese
In an interview with Quentin Tarantino, the interviewer asked him:

You told Howard Stern that Brad Pitt cut you a hunk from a hash brick while you were talking about Inglourious Basterds. What kind of trouble did you get in from Brad, or from Angelina Jolie? - page 70, December 2012, Playboy

I don't understand the highlighted words. Would you please lend a hand? Thanks.

• Bediz

Turkish
    The reply is as follows:
    TARANTINO: Oh no, that time I was okay. Brad fucking started it. He mentioned it at a fucking press conference. I’d mentioned it earlier, but he made it official. Maybe he doesn’t realize he’s the one who officially started it, but he did. But it was all good. It got picked up on a zillion sites: “Quentin gets Brad high to say yes to Basterds.” And then 996 related articles.

See the bold part? It's my understanding that it literally means Pitt offered Tarantino marijuana.

coolfool

Chinese
    The reply is as follows:
    TARANTINO: Oh no, that time I was okay. Brad fucking started it. He mentioned it at a fucking press conference. I’d mentioned it earlier, but he made it official. Maybe he doesn’t realize he’s the one who officially started it, but he did. But it was all good. It got picked up on a zillion sites: “Quentin gets Brad high to say yes to Basterds.” And then 996 related articles.

See the bold part? It's my understanding that it literally means Pitt offered Tarantino marijuana.

Thanks a lot.

So can I understand the piece in this way? While Quentin Tarantino hadn't made up his mind about who was to star in Inglourious Basterds, or Basterds in other word, though Tarantino was inclined somewhat toward Brad Pitt, Pitt grabbed, intentionally or unintentionally, the role by having made what they'd talked privately about officially, i.e. by having made it become de facto.

By the way, what does the 996 mean here?

Thanks once more.

pwmeek

English - American
    Strictly speaking, hash is short for hashish, a concentrated extract from the Cannabis Sativa plant. (See the Wikipedia article on Hashish.) Unfortunately, this word is often used incorrectly to describe finely ground marijuana (C. Sativa) bound into a solid by resin from the plant. It is hard to say which is being described in the article.

It is usually a resinous solid, and if it was a sufficiently large quantity, it might be described as a brick. It is usually distributed to end users in gram quantities, so anything described as a brick would be a very large quantity.

The point being, that in the article, Brad Pitt is being described as possessing a large quantity, from which he cut a smaller quantity as a gift for Tarantino (for whatever reason), thus asserting that both were complicit in an illegal activity. Tarantino supposedly made this public, but later said that Brad Pitt had made it public. Either way, it appeared many times on the Web (the 996), but as WR members know, the number of instances cited on the first page of a Google search are often wildly inflated.

suzi br

English / England
    It has nothing to do with how Pitt got the part. Rumour has it that Tarantino won him over by getting him stoned. Tarantino mocks this internet rumour.

coolfool

Chinese
    I seem to get it to a degree and do appreciate all of your effort to come to the aid of Oriental.

It looks to grasp the exact meaning of some difficult words, even though every one is familiar to me, sometimes needs overlooking the ins and outs of event, overcoming the hurdle of culture, as well as apprehending historical background.

Thanks again.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Do you understand what "hash" is? It's a form of marijuana. Marijuana is a drug (how much of a drug it is is currently a subject of some debate); Quentin Tarantino is known to really, really enjoy marijuana. Hash comes in "bricks" - big rectangular blocks.

If I were to "cut you a hunk from a hash brick," I would cut off a big chunk of the drugs and offer it to you, to smoke. It would be a way of saying "Let's get stoned together."

coolfool

Chinese
    Do you understand what "hash" is? It's a form of marijuana. Marijuana is a drug (how much of a drug it is is currently a subject of some debate); Quentin Tarantino is known to really, really enjoy marijuana. Hash comes in "bricks" - big rectangular blocks.

If I were to "cut you a hunk from a hash brick," I would cut off a big chunk of the drugs and offer it to you, to smoke. It would be a way of saying "Let's get stoned together."

I agree with you.

When it comes to whether or not I understand hash, or marijuana, I have to admit I do and I don't, because I haven't seen it with my own eyes, much less smoked it in my life, though I read a lot about it.

Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >